Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

1984 4d55T injection pump identification

Hey all, new to the forum. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me for certain what pump is on these old diesels. I've heard they are a Bosch VE but I can't find any certain info or marking on the pump itself

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55
    Bosch VE pump. VW used the same pump, smaller head 9mm, on their diesels until they went to common rail.

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    The ID is on the driver side of the main body stamped into it. They were made by Diesel KIKI using a the bosch license for Bosch VE. I highly recommend only having a professional work on these pumps. Dr. Bob has a great shop and is probably the most reasonable person for the job. This is not just like a carburetor where you change a needle and seat / gaskets. The body has a bushing pressed in it which wears out allowing the shaft to have side axial play causing leaks and there is a vane which draws the fuel from the tank that wears out. There is also a metering sleeve which needs to be ABSOLUTELY clean during assembly and countless other points. Typical pump repairs for these pumps go from around $400-$590 depending on parts needed. Due to our low sulfur diesel YOU MUST RUN A DIESEL ADDITIVE as there is practically ZERO lubricity in the fuel and it is similar to running an engine without oil except the death is a bit slower LOL. The common mistake i've seen many people make is to remove pump during an engine rebuild or something and leave the ports open which also means for sure death as it must be kept clean. You will not find these pumps as an exchange, rather rebuild only .

Mike