Array
    Status
    Sacramento,CA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

16" electric fan

Will a 16" electric fan keep the engine cool with the engine fan eliminated? it's a 2.0 with a/c eventually it will have a 2.6, any advice would be appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by gnweb View Post
    Will a 16" electric fan keep the engine cool with the engine fan eliminated? it's a 2.0 with a/c eventually it will have a 2.6, any advice would be appreciated.
    Many questions like this will only be answered with your own 'trial and error'. In the case of an electric fan verses stock type fan clutch you won't know until you try it. But I would think a quality unit will supply the engine with adequate cooling.

That said, what is the reason for the change to a different type of fan? Cleaner appearance? Fan clutch failure? Not being nosy but what are you trying to accomplish?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    There's a couple of advantages to going to an electric thermo fan. Takes stress off the water pump, also by removing the pump driven fan it 'de-governs' the engine and improves response. If the original fan is clutchless they are far from optimal in operation (when you're sitting at the lights on a stinker of a day they struggle to flow enough air to keep the engine cool) An electric fan will free up engine space by front mounting it. Makes working on the engine easier by not having to fiddle around pulling the mechanical fan apart and out of the way. You can set up a hard wire power supply to run the fan when it has one of 'those' moments too. It's a 'must do' mod when building a old schooler/neanderthal tech ride.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento,CA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I'm trying to clean up the appearance plus when your sitting at a long light the a/c loses it cooling and on 100 degree days that's not good, and like geezer101 replied it take stress off of the water pump. I plan on running it thru a thermostat with another relay to turn it on when the compressor is running.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    16" will woek fine, just get one with a decent cfm output

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Add a Montero fan shroud or one of those Speedway sheetmetal shrouds will help even more. Shepard's sells a direct fit all aluminum radiator for both the 2.0 and 2.6.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento,CA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I already have the aluminum radiator for the 2.6, that made a big difference and the fan I'm looking at is 3000 cfm which to me seems like it should be enough, but I wanted some opinions, I appreciate the response.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Flex-a-Lite #111 is the recommended fan for the 2.6, does 2500 cfm. That with the aluminum radiator should be OK, I think, unless you're towing boats uphill on 100 degree days with the AC going full blast. If it's running too hot for your taste, you can add a shroud later. Or you could use water and Water Wetter instead of antifreeze.

If it hasn't been overheating, I wouldn't overthink it.

Overheating is the one weakness of the 2.6. They're hot blooded.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    I run a 14" 2100cfm fan in my POS and the thing never tops 180* even in traffic. We have see a few days in the high 90's and still stays at around 180*. Thermostat is a 160* and I have the fan controller set to turn on at 165* Granted I do have a 4 core forklift rad but I still need to cool down a 302.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    3000cfm is plenty, I think mine is 2500 and thats with my Turbo 4g63