Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B

Hard Locking Tonneau Cover

What's up everybody? Anyone know where I can find a hard top, locking tonneau cover for our trucks. I'm a '94 MM Reg Cab w/short bed (6'). If not a direct fit, maybe a crossover fit that still locks securely and keeps the water out?

I know I can get one from Gaylord, but I'd really like to avoid spending $2K if at all possible...

Array
    Status
    Morgantown, KY
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    I'm just about ready to start popping out carbon fiber flat tonneaus for the Mitsu's. I've also got a hood project that's been in limbo for at least a couple of years while my business has been settling down.
    so soon I'll have 1st and 2nd gen carbon fiber hoods, and hard tonneaus.
    I haven't even gotten a business name or tax number or anything yet, but it's coming.
    Last edited by foolonthehill; 03-29-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V8
    ill be waiting for my order of --1 hood and 1 tonneau cover!

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Let us know if and whaen you get thing thing going. As well as pricing. Might be interested in a hood if not cover.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Stay away from Gaylords - I have a no longer made 1st gen cover of theirs that was a total POS - the fiberglass was so thn that scuffing it to paint put holes in it and trying to reglass the holes started to melt the inner layers. The cover was actually one for a 53-56 f100 stepside cover that also fit the top of the bed on a first gen, sort of. It is so weak where the prop struts are that the cover bulges up in the middle when it is in the sun all day. I am putting up with it until something better comes along.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    Stay away from Gaylords - I have a no longer made 1st gen cover of theirs that was a total POS - the fiberglass was so thn that scuffing it to paint put holes in it and trying to reglass the holes started to melt the inner layers. The cover was actually one for a 53-56 f100 stepside cover that also fit the top of the bed on a first gen, sort of. It is so weak where the prop struts are that the cover bulges up in the middle when it is in the sun all day. I am putting up with it until something better comes along.
    damn pennyman--that would really upset me, someone else told me they were not happy with a product from them.

thanks for another heads up/ confirmation on that.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B

Thanks

PENNY: Definitely thanks for the Gaylord heads up! I was just about ready to go with them, but I've got a lead on another place here locally and at least want to compare.

FOOL: Keep going with your business idea. More people need to make more parts for our trucks. Do it now and let us know when you're up and running.

Array
    Status
    Morgantown, KY
    Vehicle

Engine

I've got the glass panel ready to go, still working on getting our vacuum and oven up and running. Should be ready before the end of next month.
    I should note, our tonneas will not have a convex profile; they will be completely flat, and sit inside the bed rails. I'm sourcing the rubber trim for them now.
    Also still looking for a simple, low cost hinge solution.
    One thing for sure, when we do it, it will be right.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Sounds very promissing. Let us know when you come up with some kind of pricing also. I know already shipping to my house is going to be a lot, so estimated without shipping.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    i am so ready to have one of these.....hope all works out with this process and with your business man. Best of luck to you...

Array
    Status
    Morgantown, KY
    Vehicle

Engine

I'll tell you what you guys with second gen trucks could do to help me; what is the EXACT dimension of your trucks bed, from inside the rails? length & width, and how close to square is it? I want to make these fit as tight as possible but without interference, and still have a good seal on them for weather.

Array
    Status
    Houston, Texas, United States
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Any updates on the tonneau covers? Interested in one for my 88 max

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    FoolontheHill, these are the measurements from my 2nd gen.

These are inside rail to rail
    front left corner to front right corner - 4' 7 3/4"
    front left corner to rear left corner - 5' 11 7/8"
    front right corner to rear right corner - 5' 11 3/4"
    rear left corner to rear right corner - 4' 7 7/8"

Also keep in mind on a second gen the rear corners of the inside rail are rounded and not a 90* like the front inside rail corners

Array
    Status
    CA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

my GF found one made by Best Top for $650. She almost ordered it for me for christmas but I talked her out of it. Never seen one on the truck, and I think it was made of ABS plastic so I didnt think it would do too good in the sun over time but Im not totaly sure. Maybe if someone has any experiance with it. not sure I can post a direct link, not being a donator, but the part number is:

Bestop (Foldable Hard Cover) (Black) (Fits PN[42720])

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    You can post link to whatever you like, as long as its not YOU personally selling the item.

Array
    Status
    Hamilton
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Triton
    I'm not sure if you need a t-cover specifically for that build of car 'coz I make due with a generic one. I use a TONNO PRO TRI-FOLD SOFT TONNEAU COVER from I think JCW. It didn't really cost me a lot and I do think it does the job nicely. Will post some pictures later to see if you'd like to get one too

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    Haven't had the time or money to shop for the Tonneau lately. Fool, I definitely hope your R&D is going well and your business is coming along nicely. I look forward to being able to purchase one. I play bass guitar, and whenever I go to a gig, if it looks like rain, I wrap my bass cabinet in a plastic drop cloth! lol It does the job, so I'm definitely grateful! It will just be easier to be able to put the cab in the bed, drop the top, and keep it moving!

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I'm in the Charlotte NC area, there is a company called Slimline Truck Covers that made a very nice one. Small Mom & Pop type company, they may still make it on demand. BTW our beds are the same approx. size as the 1st gen S-10. The camper caps interchange think it's about a 1 inch difference in the bed length. I will check to see if they are still in business.

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    this sounds like a great idea.. i'd love to be able to keep stuff in the bed of my truck w/out gettin it jacked. lol

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Apparently the Slim Line truck covers are still being made here in N.C. I spoke w/ a guy that had an almost new Chevy full sixe w/ the Slim Line on it and he bought it not too long ago. They are in Claremont,N.C. and phone is (828)464 9074. Their product looks to have alot of quality. I have a real nice one that I bought in 1988 made by a company called California Concepts in Compton, CA. they are however out of biz, but if you ever fnd a used one, buy it! Cover is still like new and you can stand on it. Has an automotive vinyl top covering and gas prop rods,made exactly for the Ram 50. Locks and comes off in about 5 minutes.

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahlr View Post
    Apparently the Slim Line truck covers are still being made here in N.C. I spoke w/ a guy that had an almost new Chevy full sixe w/ the Slim Line on it and he bought it not too long ago. They are in Claremont,N.C. and phone is (828)464 9074. Their product looks to have alot of quality. I have a real nice one that I bought in 1988 made by a company called California Concepts in Compton, CA. they are however out of biz, but if you ever fnd a used one, buy it! Cover is still like new and you can stand on it. Has an automotive vinyl top covering and gas prop rods,made exactly for the Ram 50. Locks and comes off in about 5 minutes.
    looks dope.. especially da one on da oldskool truck on their site. come to think of it again, i'd rather look for the long bed for my truck w/ a toolbox in it.. idk if they make long beds for 2nd gens tho

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    From what I've been told they go by box dimensions not make and model. I'd measure up good and call them.

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Found a guy in the city how has a vintage Slim Line on his 80s Mazda B2200. Truck is parked near where I do some work. I will shoot a pic if it helps anyone. The overall look of the Mazdog is similar to the 2nd gen Ram in my opinion.

Array
    Status
    Alabama
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    When I bought my D-50 it had a snap on cover on the bed. It was not snapped on in the back for a while and it apparently shrunk, it will not reach the snaps on the tailgate.Does anybody know were I could get a new one. Thanks......CIMG0081.jpg

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I made my own, after the original one started to tear which was much cheaper then buying one to replace. You can get yards of the same material at a fabric store and also the edging. I picked up the black thread at a fish store since the choices were abundant and extremely strong and weather resistant. Get the mother or gf to sew the edging on it with a sewing machine or hire out a seamstress to do it.
    The fabric store also have snaps to install on the cover and or the truck if needed and is very easy to do. Sometimes if you wait for the very hot weather, you can pull the material to fit. Leave it snapped for a week or so and maybe place something flat and heavy on the cover after its snapped so it can stretch it back out for you. Piece or two of drywall for example. There are also items like armor all and stuff that will give your cover some flex to work with. Drying out will shrink them, but applying certain cleaners or conditioners and what not will allow them to stretch back out so you can begin the process of snapping it back. Do a couple snaps a day or so to do it without ripping.
    I love the cover on my truck and it makes it look real nice when it is all armor all'd or cleaned. Strange looking on the freeway though, lol the air going over the truck into the bed and flowing over the cover. Lets you know how aerodynamic the bed isn't without a cover or dropping the bed door down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast