Thread: Get a new ac compressor or get it fixed?

Array
    Status
    Atlanta,GA
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Get a new ac compressor or get it fixed?

Hello guys,
    I got a 93 mighty max 2wd. Ac not working from day 1. I have been driving with no ac for 2 years. Recently, I tried charging the system...the system pressure wouldn't build up. It built very low pressure and compressor clutch engaged for a while then no pressure at all....wasted 40 bucks on 134a.... the stuff seemed leaked from the back of the compressor.... I am pretty sure the compressor is bad...I have taken it out...Now question is... should I buy a new (refurbished) one or get current one refurbished? Cheapest I can find on ebay is about 150 bucks...ouch........... Don't know if any local shop can refurb it and how it cost..too late to call...what do you guys think??

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I think $150 for a rebuilt compressor isn't a bad price - it would probably cost you that to get yours rebuilt...

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    that is a good price for a rebuilt compressor, especially if it comes with the clutch. Not likely to find a good one in the jy any better than what you got. If it is the small sanden compressor, you might be able to buy a one new for less - the small sanden has a compressor body the same diameter as the clutch.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    that is a good price for a rebuilt compressor, especially if it comes with the clutch. Not likely to find a good one in the jy any better than what you got. If it is the small sanden compressor, you might be able to buy a one new for less - the small sanden has a compressor body the same diameter as the clutch.
    What he said.

With a system that has not run for two years I highly recommend an evacuate/recharge and then check for leaks with a leak detector. You may be out of the realm of DIY but you will end up spending more money in the long run if you don't. If you want a reliable system you're going to have to bite the bullet. Replace the receiver-drier also. (It's the filter for the system.) HIGHLY recommended if the system has not been used for that long.

Network to find the right people who can help you to lower the cost...just don't half-ass the repair or you will live to regret it.

Once you get it running, then have the system serviced annually. Maintenance is cheaper than repairs in the long run.

Good luck.