Status
    Jasper, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Hey yall from Northwest GA!

Hello everyone, I'm Andrew.

I recently acquired a 1989 ram 50 on a trade.

It looks rough from some custom body work from the previous owner running into a brick wall or something, but overall is in good shape. I believe it to have the 2.0 engine. its a 5 speed transmission. 241K miles! yeah its up there. but overall seems to be mechanically sound. I did notice today that the fan has a LOT of free play. no leeks so far though. not even oil. My original plan for this truck was just a trash runner as i didnt see a need or much use for it. however after finding this site and cleaning it up some and driving it im starting to fall in love with this beet up old truck. its rough, bare bones (no power stearing no a/c nothing) drives a lot like a old CJ-5. but its FUN. it handles the back mountain roads out here like a champ. sure its kinda slow up hill but downhill on the twisties its a blast.

Anyways about me. Im 22 and in college. Live in jasper GA. (anyone close?) I have a fair amount of mechanical experience and body work. i'v been pondering some ideas the last few days for my truck. rather then fix or replace the body I have come up with a idea to utilize the damage. Im sure some of yall are familiar with star wars, I have an idea to paint it and do the body work like that of the armor that Jango-Fett and Boba-Fett wore. or for anyone more familiar with the expanded univers of star wars, mandalore. And that is what I shall call my Mighty Ram! I will upload some pics tomorrow in the daylight.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome, we need pictures.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    and another gets bitten by the bug. I will tell you right now... there is no cure unless your spending money on her. I am not talking about the wife or GF either, Sounds like your imagination has it's own wheels turning. I like to see pics too of your ideas and when you begin to make your ideas reality. Grab a thread and let it rip.

Welcome to the forum, where we all have bite marks.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63
    Welcome, from another Georgian......down around Augusta........luvsssssssss them pics.

Array
    Status
    Jasper, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Here are pics! sorry for the wait. Yeah she is ugly right now. but a little time and who knows. yeah i know the air filter is junk lol. but its better then no filter when i got it. Me and the guy at AutoZone tested several of the aftermakets that they had but none fit.

IMG_20140709_103438_886.jpgIMG_20140709_103604_547.jpgIMG_20140709_103626_190.jpgIMG_20140709_103720_802.jpg
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Jasper, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Please ignore the junk in the yard. mainly the the eclipse sitting up front lol.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    The junk is not an issue, but that dead body in the bushes kind of raises some curiosity.

WHat? can't afford a screw for that headlight, lmao

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63
    I like it......got a little work (opportunities) ahead for yourself.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome to the site - you actually have a 2.6 motor from the pics, so you already have more power for hitting hyperdrive speed...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ...sorry pennyman1, but that beast is a G63B (2.6's don't have plastic timing covers - how long have ya been on here? ) I am amazed the hood closes with that enormous upright air filter standing up on the carb like that. Your Ram has got some serious battle damage up front but it's nothing a few good panels and bumper won't sort out.

Array
    Status
    Atlanta GA
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post

WHat? can't afford a screw for that headlight, lmao
    I'm betting there's nothing to screw into left behind that damaged area.

Welcome, from another GA-based member. I'm over in Lawrenceville, just NE of Atlanta.

Array
    Status
    Jasper, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Lol the filter only fits because of the damage to the hood lol. Yeah it's ugly but from what I can tell the frame is straight. Minus the front section by the bumper and lights. It's crushed in. Still driving her every day. I have a question about the engine light. "Maintain reqd" light. I saw a post saying the switch to turn it off was on the colon opposite the turn signal switch. But I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated. I have been checking around at the local junk yard off 53 in jasper. But hey only have one MM 1991 model. Mostly picked over already.

Array
    Status
    Jasper, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Found the switch. Under the gauge cluster on the right there is a blank panel. Mine had a red led built into it from a long striped out security system I recon (found a key fob behind the seat) pop out that plastic cover and you can reach the slide switch (but just barely) with your finger. Also found a BIC cigaret lighter someone stashed inside the steering column! Great hiding place if you feel around under the bottom. Great place to clip a holster for your "pest deterrent" sorry if the switch was common knowledge but I couldn't find it posted anywhere. So thought I would share.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    thats what I get for looking at a pic when I am tired - you got me Geezer. I am allowed to miss one once in a while...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    thats what I get for looking at a pic when I am tired - you got me Geezer. I am allowed to miss one once in a while...
    lololol all good pennyman. I miss stuff all the time (it's a side effect of having a bucket over my head )