Status
    Atlanta GA
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Resetting odometer in replacement cluster

1991 Dodge D-50 4 cylinder, 5-speed

The truck has the stock instrument cluster that with just the fuel gauge, temp gauge, and speedometer. I have acquired a replacement (sport) cluster with the extra gauges (oil pressure and Volts) and the tachometer. I know I need to replace the oil pressure sender in order for that to work correctly, and it is already ordered.

My question is this: has anyone successfully reset the mechanical odometer when replacing clusters? My truck currently has 92K on it, but my replacement cluster reads 141K. BTW, changing your odometer is perfectly legal unless you are doing it to commit fraud.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Why not swap the odometer between clusters instead - then it is totally legal and you have to pull the odo out to set it anyways...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Atlanta GA
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    If that is easier, then sure, I can do that. Just was hoping someone had done this before and could give me some tips and or tricks.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I watched this how-to a while back, for Toyota trucks but same idea:

Array
    Status
    Atlanta GA
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    That's an amazing coincidence. I too watched that exact video yesterday while thinking about doing this. I think the difference is that it doesn't look like the d50 cluster is "modular" in the same way the Toyota in that video is. In other words, I don't think the speedo module is easily removed to work on. I may just have to disassemble it to see what I'm looking at.

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Since we're on this thread......... does anyone know what replacement cluster bulbs to order on a 88 mm w/o tach ? Need to replace all of them.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    BTW, there's a NOS 2nd Gen speedometer on eBay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-N...a4b35d&vxp=mtr

Array
    Status
    Atlanta GA
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Well, I decided not to screw with it. My replacement cluster is in such perfect condition, I didn't want to mess anything up by disassembling it and possibly messing something up. My old (original) cluster shows 92,000 miles, the replacement one shows 142,000 miles. I'm just going to document the change, and keep on rolling. If and when I ever decide to sell it, I'll explain, but really, it probably won't be that big of a deal. For a 23 year old truck condition is more important than mileage anyway.

Replacement cluster is in, remembered to remove the "maintenance required" light before installing it. It is a pretty simple install, you do have to reroute the speedo cable a little bit. That cable is a pain to get reattached, but it finally clicked into place. Plugged together the two connection under the hood for the tach signal. Swapped out the oil pressure sender for the correct one for the gauge.

Truck is upon stands until tomorrow when I can finish up a couple of other items. Doing new shocks all around, and the FLAPS didn't have the front ones in stock. They will be in tomorrow, and I can finish that up, and take it for a drive to try everything out.