Thread: Steering clearance too big, normal for a old truck?

Array
    Status
    Atlanta,GA
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Steering clearance too big, normal for a old truck?

Hi guys,
    I want to start a discussion about steering clearance.

I feel the steering clearance for my mighty is bigger than other cars. By cars I mean civic, accord, focus, etc. It is not that terrible, it is a truck after all.

I have a 93 mighty max 2.4L. I have had it for 2 years and put about 30k miles on it. Now the odo reads 190k. I replaced tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm when I first got it. So I would say they are not loose. Oh of course I had it aligned in a shop, otherwise my tires wouldn't last that long.

I think:
    Firs, it is because of the design of the truck steering mechaism (truck steering mechanism has more arms (idler arm, pitman arm, etc) which may create more clearance.

Secondly, it is because the wear on the steering gear mechanism, espicailly when it is not equipped with power steering. The manufal steering mechanism has to endure more force compared to power steering and manual steering in small cars.
    I checked online, a new steering gear can run you over $300....ouch...
    Anyone installed it? easy or hard?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    There is an adjustment on the manual steering box to adjust the free play in it - be very careful as a little adjustment can take you from sloppy to so tight you can't turn it. Loosen the nut on the screw in the center of the box and adjust it for your liking.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Atlanta,GA
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Thanks Pennyman1!!! Is it possible you come up with a picture illustration? Don't know what to look for.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    there should be a pic in the service manual section - I don't have a manual steering box available to take a pic of right now.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The adjusting screw is on the top of the steering gear in the center of it. Loosen the locknut with a wrench and tighten the screw with a screwdriver. After you tighten the screw a bit, hold the screwdriver while you tighten the locknut back up so the screw doesn't move. If you have jack stands you can get the front wheels up off the ground and check the freeplay by turning the steering wheel after you adjust it. It might take a couple of tries to get it just right. If you adjust it too tight it will be hard to keep the truck driving straight because the wheels won't return to center by themselves.