Thread: Is 1993 mighty max capable of towing a honda civic for a long trip?

Array
    Status
    Atlanta,GA
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Is 1993 mighty max capable of towing a honda civic for a long trip?

Hello guys,

I have an upcoming non-stop 800-mile trip. I am thinking of using my 93 Mighty max to tow my 1991 Honda civic EF (with a tow dolly).. Is it a sound idea? I had the mighty for 2 years and it had made 30k miles for me with no issues. I replaced clutch when I first got it. It was leaking and burning oil slightly since the 1st day but not a big deal I kept adding oil to make sure no valve train noise. I did compression test, all good. I inspected timing belt, it is also good. I trust this little truck and usually make non-stop 150-mile trip with it. I am wondering if it can take this challenge......

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I flat towed a Jaguar S-Type once.... the truck didn't like it, but it made it lol.

There is a difference between a Honda and a Jag, but I don't really consider these to be trucks made for towing. I've been surprised by mine, but not sure I would tow that distance.

Array
    Status
    west valley, silicon valley, bay area, ca
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I've towed many many cars on tow dolly's with mine, including Honda's. Should be no problem.
    I knew daredevils and I ain't got nothin' against them, ........it's just they're all dead.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    They're not called Mighty Max for nothing.

Keep an eye on the temp gauge.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Mine pulls this really nice and it's just a 2.0L with a few extras.
    Just don't drag your clutch to much or it may start to smell. Get running starts on the hills and try not to overheat the engine. Curb weight on a 91 civic is about 2127 lbs. Try and remove all un-necessary items from the Honda as well as empty fuel in tank. Put a little extra air in all the tires, especially the towed vehicle so it will create less friction on a freeway drive. Clean the bugs and crap out of your radiator fins. When starting from a dead stop, take your time and screw everyone behind you if they are impatient. They will figure out how to get by on their own. You want to save the clutch from stress, so no hard downshifting when coming to a stop. Brakes are cheaper then clutches so hold the clutch pedal in when coming top a stop and use the brakes only. By the way, how is the timing belt. Rubber ones should be changed around 60k to 80k miles, sooner if the head is an interference style.
    Last edited by BradMph; 07-06-2014 at 08:07 AM.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    i think you'll be fine emergency stopping may be an issue

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Yeah, the brakes might overheat if you're not careful. I would check the pads, drums and use fresh fluid. If you can, use a dolly with one of those automatic brakes.

Maybe switch out the anti-freeze for water and Water Wetter since it's summer.

Remember braking distance goes up exponentially with speed and weight! So give yourself extra, extra time and obey the speed limit.

stopping distance.gif

Make sure your brake lights and hazards work. Make the truck and trailer as bright and visible as possible. Whatever works so people can see you, as they're chatting on their cell phones and putting on makeup and eating Whoppers at 70 MPH.

Array
    Status
    Atlanta,GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thank you guys. I decide I'd rather drive the truck without towing the car... A lot of things can go wrong for a 800-mile trip.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Before you nix the idea, if the tow is on flat land, it won't be that much of a problem. But it's up to you of course.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Ive towed several cars on a dolly with my max. Maintain good distance in between cars around you and keep looking ahead for trouble as it will not stop as easily when hauling. I try to stay out of fifth gear unless at cruising speed.

Array
    Status
    Atlanta GA
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    For everyone who is towing with their Mighty Max or Ram50, are you using the bumper mounted tow ball, or do you have a receiver hitch type set up?

Array
    Status
    Atlanta,GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I use bumper mounted hitch ball... I towed my Porsche 944 once with a tow dolly for about 30 miles... I do notice the bumper got stretched and bent...Anyone have better solution?

Array
    Status
    west valley, silicon valley, bay area, ca
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
    For everyone who is towing with their Mighty Max or Ram50, are you using the bumper mounted tow ball, or do you have a receiver hitch type set up?
    Receiver hitch.

I knew daredevils and I ain't got nothin' against them, ........it's just they're all dead.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63
    I towed my 1984 Dodge D-50 with my 1980 Dodge D-50 from SC to Ga. with a tow dolly.

Then took the engine out of the 80 and put it in the 84, and have been driving the 84 ever since.

That was 1999.

Array
    Status
    Atlanta GA
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon Moer View Post
    Receiver hitch.

That's custom made, isn't it?

I can't find a receiver hitch for the Ram50 from any of the usual online retailers.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
    I can't find a receiver hitch for the Ram50 from any of the usual online retailers.
    I found possibly the last Draw Tite hitch for our trucks for sale in Canada, and I doubt I'll ever use it. Still brand new sitting in my garage.
    Last edited by noahwins; 07-10-2014 at 06:18 PM.

Array
    Status
    Atlanta GA
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    I found possibly the last Draw Tite hitch for our trucks for sale in Canada, and I doubt I'll ever use it. Still brand new sitting in my garage.
    PM sent!

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    I have not towed boats and the like as some of the other users have, but I have had so much crush n' run gravel in the bed on a twenty mile errand the rear tires looked flat. I couldn't believe the truck could carry that much weight. I didn't name it "Ol' Reliable" for nothing.

Like it has been mentioned, your main concern should be braking distance. And you did not mention the terrain either. But a "flatland" tow should be fine if you use care- for example double you normal following distance. You will tax the brakes more than the chassis, guaranteed.

Use common sense and be mindful of hills and brakes and you should be fine.