Thread: Oil Pressure light flickering at idle, burning oil?

Array
    Status
    Atlanta GA
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Oil Pressure light flickering at idle, burning oil?

So, my 1991 Ram 50 with 91,000 miles on it has a couple of issues.

A) Once the engine reaches operating temps, my oil light flickers at idle. A slight blip of the throttle and it goes away, and if I turn the idle up, it goes away. Obviously cranking the idle up doesn't really solve anything, it just hides it, so any recommendations? I know a real gauge would help diagnose here, and not just the idiot light, but I'm not good at figuring out what I need. If I were to get my hands on one of the "sport clusters" with the tach, that has an actual oil gauge right?

B) Disappearing oil - I constantly have to top up the oil. I hardly drive this truck at all, so it's hard to keep track of it, but I'm thinking it's maybe a quart every 1000 miles. No significant leaks on the driveway, so I know it's likely going past the rings or valves and out the tailpipe. But I never see any smoke, either on start up or acceleration. Anything other than those possibilities I should be checking on.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Valve seals and an oil change. But you should get a gage to test the pressure.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Kuna, ID
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    Mine started doing it after a valve seal replacement. So I changed the sensor. And the problem has disappeared. Someone in here told me to try that first.

Array
    Status
    Atlanta GA
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Okay, actually found a tach cluster which comes with the oil pressure gauge built in, so I as soon as the big brown trucks brings me my sending unit, I'll put that in. I'll see if the flickering oil light is still there with a new sending unit.

I've never done valve seals before, so I'm reading over some threads on how to do that. So everyone seems to agree that's where my oil consumption is happening?
    Last edited by leftfield6; 07-03-2014 at 05:43 PM.