Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

2nd Gen MM/D50 Big Brakes

There has been a ton of chatter on many threads, as well as a few inquiry PM's to me directly regarding production of Big Brake kits for the 2nd Gen.

There are a few members here (including myself) that have custom built our own big brake systems. Mine consists of custom machined VR-4 rotors, 4 pot VR-4 calipers, custom brackets and lines, all on a 5 lug front hub (see "Merrill's 4G64 DOHC for more info). Other members have built their own variants, some have just slapped on larger calipers to small factory rotors.

During R&D stages of my build, my team and I were designing a 6 lug bolt-on big brake hub that allows use of Montero Sport 276mm or 314mm brakes. The hub would allow the Montero Sport rotors and calipers to be bolted on directly to the MM exactly the same as they do to both vehicles (like factory).

We did scratch the production/prototype/research in favor of the system we built currently on my truck. However, this does not make it out of reach of being produced still.

I own a very busy shop. We custom build many parts for higher end builds. While it does occupy a lot of time, it may be possible to pick up this concept again.

What we need is enough people interested in purchasing a big brake system in order to pick it back up and continue development. We need at least 7 confirmed buyers to sell it (when the time comes).

At this point, all I am trying to find out is who is interested enough (no obligation)? A rough guess to price @ 7 buyers would be $400 - $500 USD for a pair of 6061 Bullet Aluminum hubs that adapt Montero Sport brakes to the Mighty Max. All hubs are 100% USA made, and will make a 100% bolt-on big brake upgrade.

Questions or comments, please post up.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    would these use mitsu or toyota wheel bearings? Would they be available in just 6 bolt, or is 5 bolt an option? What would the minimum wheel diameter be with this setup? I am definately interested.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Any way you could do a set for all four wheels -- and retain the parking brake? Or is it easier to do the Monty axle swap?
    Last edited by noahwins; 06-27-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    would these use mitsu or toyota wheel bearings? Would they be available in just 6 bolt, or is 5 bolt an option? What would the minimum wheel diameter be with this setup? I am definately interested.
    These would be on Mitsu bearings. The goal is 6 bolt since they are the most common. 5 bolt may be possible, but I wont know until I try to draft them. The lug patterns may interfere making it a no go. Minimum wheel diameter would presumably be 16 inch since that is the factory size on the 314mm Montero Sport. I wont know until the final prototypes are complete.

Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    Any way you could do a set for all four wheels -- and retain the parking brake? Or is it easier to do the Monty axle swap?
    Producing a rear set may be possible, but very difficult at this time for me to do. A rear disc kit is very easy to do, but since I swapped over to a Ford 8.8 for my rear disc, I no longer have a Mitsu axle to work with to test fit and prototype a system. One day I may have some free time to play around with pieces at a yard, but until then, I can only work on the front system.

Array
    Status
    CR, IA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I would be interested in a big brake 6 bolt set up. How many piston caliper would it be?

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Montero Sport calipers (both 276 and 314mm) are two piston. It's really more than enough for a Mighty Max, but there are always options for bigger/better/more stopping power.

Array
    Status
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Highly interested.

Array
    Status
    CR, IA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    So I guess im a little confused on this. Are you making anything or just selling the kit of pulled parts for the "Bigger brake" kit. I mean if the calipers are off a montero, and the rotors are off a montero(Correct??), Couldnt I just take the caliper bracket off a montero and use that for it or am I missing something that doesnt work in the spindle?

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    No, I'm not just selling a pile of parts and calling it a kit

All the big brake parts can be found on the Montero Sport. The only problem is the offsets of the rotors do not allow them to be bolted on to the MM hub.

The product I would be selling is a machined hub that allows the Montero Sport big brakes to be bolted on to the MM.

Array
    Status
    Houston, Texas, United States
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    If this hub goes into production I'm in! My truck will need new brakes sometime this year so a big brake 314mm Montero setup would fill in my 18s nicely, will it affect the offset or will it be the same?

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    The offset will likely become more positive. It all depends on how much correction I can make within the factory tolerance.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Update...

I am shooting for a slightly different design on this. I started drafting the hub with the corrected offset and I really don't like how much extra offset is created to squeeze in a factory MS rotor. The front wheels would be almost flush with a positive offset wheel This is not a well engineered solution to me.

Rather than turning a hub, I will likely machine a rotor hat with the correct offset for a large replaceable rotor that can be purchased off the shelf at many speed shops and retailers. Once my CNC is back up and running (I am moving right now), I will likely turn out a few prototypes and go from there.

Thank you everyone for the continuous bumps and reminders to keep this up!

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Would the new CNC make a rear disk conversion possible?

Considered the Ford axle and Toyota hubs but I want to keep it 6x139.7 because of a special set of wheels I found.

Array
    Status
    Houston, Texas, United States
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I'm in for the front setup, the rear disk setup would be awesome too. I want to keep it 6 lug.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Rear disc is not on the priority list right now, but maybe in the future. I'd have to either find someone with a truck willing to donate their time for R&D, or go buy an axle that I have no use for.

Array
    Status
    Spearfish, South Dakota
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    If offset is not changed, the hubs stay 6 lug, and the spec is not far from factory stock spec, I will buy two sets for my 4x4 Mighty Max trucks, as long as they stay near $400. Let me know when they are in production.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I could be completely wrong (because I haven't verified), but if you have a 4x4, you should be able to just slap the Montero Sport brakes on.

Array
    Status
    Inland Empire, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I need these. I'm selling my Galant VR4 because racetruck, that's why. Ha...just need a bolt on stopping solution for the ol' 88 and this is the answer.