Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B

Getting it clean...

I wanted to share with you guys a budget way of getting really cruddy engines and parts clean. I have used all the usual weapons to clean an engine but I tried out something a little left field (so to speak) and found it was pretty effective. Oven cleaner. Not the caustic based stuff as this would be disastrous to be spraying anywhere in a car. It will dissolve pretty much any old oil and gunk lurking on an engine but I have noticed it doesn't make much of a dent in the stuff inside the gearbox (might be the oil or maybe the clutch powder...I dunno) I tried it out on a 4G52 valve cover I had sitting in storage for over 10 years and wanted to see if it would work - All I used was an old tooth brush and it came up looking fresh as! The non caustic oven cleaner does a good job of breaking up brake pad dust and road grime too (if you're cleaning wheels I'd recommend doing one at a time and working quickly as it could discolour the finish)

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the lye in the caustic oven cleaner will eat the aluminum up - btw, some drain cleaners use lye and aluminum to speed up the drain cleaning process, as it releases heat to melt grease clogs.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    the lye in the caustic oven cleaner will eat the aluminum up - btw, some drain cleaners use lye and aluminum to speed up the drain cleaning process, as it releases heat to melt grease clogs.
    Oh yeah, was well aware of that one - thus me making a point of using a non-caustic oven cleaner. It will munch alloy, paint, seals and pretty much anything you don't want it to. I used to go through cans of spray on degreaser to clean something up but I found that this stuff made short work of removing crud off an engine and didn't require anywhere near the amount of effort to get the end result. Happy cleaning!