Status
    Denver CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64

Saying hello

Hello,
    Just joined this forum and it looks pretty cool.
    I have had my D50 since I was 16, I bought my truck from a guy in Brighton CO for 1,000 bucks. It was originally purchased by the airforce in 1985 and is airforce blue; still has runway tar stuck in the bed. It was then owned by a park service, Texas I imagine by the tape with the Texas boarders on it and cactus in the engine bay. Over the years this truck has been a good little machine, the only problems I have ever had with it were a bad head gasket and that dumb mikuni carb. I swapped out that Mikuni for the Weber, down sizing the jets for CO emissions. Truck runs like a champ and has less than 100K on it still.
    Unfortunately rust has finally taken hold of the floor pan on the drivers side and the door is beginning to sag. I recently tried to sell it knowing that this truck may be at it's peak value before the rust really takes hold and while it is still under 100K, but I just stared at that for sale sign and could not do it. I decided I am just going to put a little more TLC into my Dodgeabish and drive the wheels off
    I will post some pics for you guys soon.

Array
    Status
    blackwood, nj
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    welcome to the forum. im glad you decided to keep it.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome, and greetings from CO. I'm sure we're all excited to see this beauty

Array
    Status
    Denver CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    IMG_20140625_170020_531.jpg
    Just a street side pic. More to come

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63
    awwww man, good looking little truck.....you will be glad you kept it.

Welcome to the MM/D-50 madness.

Rust can do some heavy worrying on the brain, trust me, I been there done that. My little 84 D50 was the best 175 bux I spent in 1999.

Array
    Status
    Denver CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Got one of the engine bay. I never "deleted" all that vacuum nonsense after swapping to the weber, just capped it off. I figure if for any reason I had to put the Mikuni back on or trick the emissions place it would be best to fake it.
    IMG_20140626_092241_345.jpg
    Thanks for re assuring me on that rust. I will take some snap shots of it, I have been trying to find a patch panel but if I have to I will just have to make one... maybe out of street sign.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome to the forum!

I luv the the heat riser tube you got there, lol. Take that off it is just shoving hot air into your carb when it should be cool air if it can find it.
    Or point it away from carb or plug hole up.

Best way to fool emission is connect all the smog back up to the weber since it does have auxilary inlets if needed and get an adapter for the weber carb to fit the stock air cleaner back on. That will hide the carb if emission station lifts the hood for a visual. You can also cut out the stock cleaner base with a templet made from carb top to fit the stock air cleaner and reconnect your heat riser if you want it.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Oh man, please get rid of that heat transfer duct - I am sure the air is already hot enough in the engine bay without trying to BBQ the side of the air filter straight off the exhaust manifold...

Array
    Status
    Denver CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Haha I did hack up my old air cleaner to fit the weber for emissions! I have that heat riser tube in for the winter... one day I was driving in a snow storm when my truck started spitting and sputtering like it was out of gas. When I pulled over there was a thick layer of ice on the carburetor!

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Got lots of rust free trucks at pick a parts here. Snap of photo. Can chop out hinge pillar/floor section etc

Array
    Status
    Denver CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewarme View Post
    Got lots of rust free trucks at pick a parts here. Snap of photo. Can chop out hinge pillar/floor section etc
    Ha, I'll get a good pic for you! Pretty much need the entire driverside floor pan up to the door pillar... then ill need the drivers side and passenger side rocker panel.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpenter456 View Post
    Haha I did hack up my old air cleaner to fit the weber for emissions! I have that heat riser tube in for the winter... one day I was driving in a snow storm when my truck started spitting and sputtering like it was out of gas. When I pulled over there was a thick layer of ice on the carburetor!
    Err, o.k. Leave it there lololol. Damn it musta been cold...

Array
    Status
    Denver CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    IMG_20140711_144104_385.jpg
    Couldn't help myself. Moving into a warehouse at work and it was totally vacant.