Array
    Status
    shreveport, la
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

1989 dodge ram 50 build thread

New to the site, but I figured since I started tearing into the truck I'd go ahead and start a build thread. So here's the run down, got a ram 50 yesterday, and not I commence with working her over, and making her my own. this truck is a 2.0 g36b powered 5 speed "monster" lol. Seriously though, it runs with the factory motor after sitting for 3 years. I primed the carb, and put a hot battery in it, and away she goes. It needs a noticeable amount of TLC. That's what I'm making my primary goal for now. I have a few pics of her that i'll share to get thing started off.

ram 50.1.jpgram 50.2.jpgram 50.3.jpgram 50.4.jpgram 50.5.jpg

In order from left to right: first loaded onto trailer(rear damage not shown); freshly powerwashed in the next 2 pictures; the next 2 were this morning, got the bed pulled off and ready to start cleaning the frame and doing any repairs need to the frame before getting started on the flatbed.

I am going to start on that in the next couple of days when I get a scrap trailer im going to break down and repurpose. this will be a budget build to the max if i can keep it that way. or at least until i can get things together to swap it. still keeping in mind im a tightwad and would rather build it than buy it.

Anyway here it is for now, I'll update as progress comes rolling in on this baby.

PCRF

Array
    Status
    shreveport, la
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    So I've gotten a little bit of troubleshooting and some tuning up done over the weekend. Got the old nasty orange rust water out of the block and got fresh antifreeze in it. It only took 5 times to purge it clean. Got fresh oil and engine restorer in it as well. It seems like it may have a stuck valve or something, because im getting a burning oil smel from the exhaust. Need new plugs still. And alot of electrical bugs to fix on the truck itself. All in all shes not as bad off as I had anticipated. I should be getting my materials together for the flatbed this week/weekend, we'll see how it goes. More pictures coming as soon as I get further along.

PCRF

Array
    Status
    shreveport, la
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Update for this past weekend. I worked on my ttuck a little bit, trying to get it to stop smoking so bad... unsuccessfully. Compression test says theres a leak down in cylinders 2 and 3. Hence the blow by. So im gonna pull the motor and trans this weekend. Dont know if im gonna rebuild or not. Probably not, because i found a donor van with FI 360 and 727 auto for $750 that im probably just gonna sell my parts and buy. Also got my materials together and old flatbed trailer for my bed on the truck. So hopefully this coming up weekend ill have some more progress for you guys. Thinking since i have a rebuilt holset turbo.in the shed and an electric fuel pump i might just turbo the 360 �� make a beast of a sleeper.

Array
    Status
    shreveport, la
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    So yesterday went out and started cutting down my trailer to get my stock for my flatbed... and my damn grinder kicked back on me and the cut off wheel shattered. This sent a peice of cutoff wheel flying into my arm. So progress has been slowed down even more due to 13 stiches in my forearm. I had 5 stiches on the inside of my arm to get my tendons back together, and 8 to close the gaping hole in my arm.... fml.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    ouch.. Was it was a 4 inch grinder with out a guard. You have no idea how many people get hurt this way.
    I have never seen an accident where someone was injured with a grinder with a guard. Only non guarded grinders.

So lets see why.

Last edited by camoit; 07-13-2014 at 10:16 AM.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    shreveport, la
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    yeah it was a 4" hand grinder, but it did have a guard. what happened was when i went to make the last cut on a piece of the c channel it pinched and rotated out of my hand and grinder went airborne, thus send shrapnel into my arm. it was a total freak accident. i had a face shield on and gloves and was PPE'd according to OSHA lol. I work in a plant and have to comply with OSHA standards at work, so i figured i'd bring my ppe home, but it hit me about 5" above my gloves.
    hand grinders suck 1.jpg

hand grinders suck 2.jpg

Array
    Status
    shreveport, la
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    either way, im gonna wait a week or so to let it heal up, and try to get back at it. probably just break out the cutting torch next time though. something told me to use it first.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Doc did a good job on your tat repair.

Array
    Status
    shreveport, la
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Yeah he did a good job, and i was in and out of the ER in an hour

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Oh man that is nasty. I hate grinders - if you're gonna have an accident at home with power tools, it'll be with a grinder (more than likely an eye injury). My #1 least favourite power tool is the circular saw - you have an accident with one of those, you're in trouble straight up... Hope you heal up o.k.

Array
    Status
    shreveport, la
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks geezer. I should be alright haha i got thick skin. Hopefully i can get something done before long. Im gonna get my pops to help me out with it a little bit.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B