Thread: replacing water pump -- do I have to move power steering pump?

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

replacing water pump -- do I have to move power steering pump?

hi folks,

1995 mighty max 4 cyl.

water pump blew out while in town, and it looked pretty easy to replace. but-- first seems like top shroud needs to come, then bottom shroud (which requires taking pulleys off), then seems like timing belt has to come off (!!) then the alternator adjuster. this is more than i bargained for with my little roadside toolkit.

but the main problem appears to be the pwr steering pump. seems i have to remove the bracket it's connected to in order to remove the water pump straight out. furstrating, because all the bolts are out and the water pump is moving around, but i can't figure out how to get it off. but i ALSO can't figure out how to remove the pwr steering -- for the adjustment bolt i think i need a 11mm wrench ?? all the others are 10 or 12. 12 is stripping it. and i think i have to at least move the pwr steering pump over to get at the bolts for the mounting bracket?

had to give up, ran out of time, now it's sitting downtown. here's the main question: do i REALLY have to remove all this stuff to get the water pump off? or is there a trick? any specific advice for the pwr steering pump?

is there a detailed manual for this vehicle?

thanks!

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    someone could have stuck in a 7/16 not metric. You never know what people have done.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    well, figured out the pwr steering pump -- was a 12mm after all, just a bit stripped already and so loose in my wrench. i got a socket on it through the hole in the pulley, came out with some encouragement.

BUT -- oh geez, while putting the new water pump on i managed to snap the lower bolt. oh no! here are my questions:

1) where can i find torque specs on this vehicle? is there a manual hidden somewhere on this site? (am i too blind to find it?)

2) anyone have experience driving with one bolt missing from the water pump? i just need to get it home, i think, to work on it properly.

3) i'm thinking of getting an extractor set to remove the bolt. yeah? any other recommendations?

4) anything special i should know about the bolt when i go to get a new one?

thanks, y'all.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    bump?

Array
    Status
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I snapped a water pump bolt on a 4G63-T once. It will be ok to get it home, but it will eventually leak. You will have to have the remainder of the bolt extracted eventually. Those 8mm 1.25 bolts are pretty flimsy so you cant over-tighten them at all... Sorry to hear.

Array
    Status
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    BTW torque spec is 8.7-11 ft lbs. I usually use a 1/4 drive ratchet to tighten these bolts, so I don't apply too much torque...

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by RWD4G63 View Post
    BTW torque spec is 8.7-11 ft lbs. I usually use a 1/4 drive ratchet to tighten these bolts, so I don't apply too much torque...
    thanks for the details on this, and the insight that the bolt is 8mm 1.25 -- i don't have the snapped off part right now, and will try and pick up one of those. i assume i should get grade 5 rather than grade 8, to try and imitate the flimsiness (which is intentional to minimize stripping the threads in the block, i'm guessing?).

i've driven it a bit as is, no leak visible yet. fyi.

i also found the following instructions on water pump and torque, which is only instructions i've found online as yet (though of course i think mine is a 2.4l?): http://www.justanswer.com/car/0n6v5-...pump-need.html

still curious if there's a link to a haynes or other service manual anywhere?

i've ordered an extractor set, new gasket, will do that later this week.

thanks again!