Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New to mightyram50, not to Mitsubishi...

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    you're in business now geezer, nice find your photo bucket is full 'n too slow so keep posting a pic or two here, thanks...
    ...don't get me started on turdbucket. First they break all of my links and attempt to hold my intellectual property hostage (whoever came up with the P500 fix needs to be given a small country to rule over...) I get continuous emails to 'update my account' (pay through the eyeballs for storage) I click on anything on my account and I get redirected to 'update my account'. And now I have something else fun happening - getting likes. Great! Someone is remotely interested in what I was uploading 3 years ago. Wait, nope. They're linking their advertisements to me so I can go to some sketchy adult site or get scammed. Photobucket is DEAD.

*is there a way I can bulk upload to my library? I really should have a home page album but it's going to take decades to upload each image...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    OK rant over. I've made a bunch of small purchases through the magical land of ebay. Some may or may not make it onto the truck depending on how it pans out. On the shopping list -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AN6-6AN-10-...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Non-Retu...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Pn...72.m2749.l2649
    (don't know if it'll work with soda but it was really cheap so I'm gonna road test it...)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Racing-Stee...72.m2749.l2649
    *This one was an impulse buy - I'm either going to mod it to fit the hung dog wagon or the truck, but it was too cheap to pass up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-350mm-6-B...72.m2749.l2649
    *Yet another impulse buy - if I really like the look of it I'll swap it into the truck. It was dirt cheap and has a classic look to it that might tie in with the rest of the interior.

Last item and the one that'll allow me to reassemble the front end once I get time -
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Whiteline-F...72.m2749.l2649

I'll have plenty to keep me busy over the next few months and I shall endeavour to post with pics with any progress
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I came up with a solution to my twin fuel tank dilemma - sort of. I found a bunch of listings for 'dual fuel tank switching valve' and they all appear to be either 3 port (one in/two out) or 6 port (same - doubled up). The vast majority of the 3 port valves are identical (they look like copies of Ford and GM OEM fuel tank selector valves) and the prices can be vastly different (from $25ish USD to $50ish USD) but as always the freight is brutal. It will eliminate the need for 2 pumps, should simplify the install but the part is specified for a non-return line fuel system and the selector valve must be installed with filters into both inlet ports from the tank - that means the pump must be installed in the main fuel line after the selector valve. Not ideal with an electric fuel pump.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    A minor milestone yesterday - I cranked the engine for the first time since the engine swap sans ignition. It was only a power circuit test which exposed a couple of faults with the upgraded wiring. Now I have to tie in the A/C wiring route with the cooling fans and the headlight loom and secure it in a way that doesn't foul the condenser. I'm trying to made the upgrades modular so if I have to do anything after it's all back together, I don't have to pull half the truck apart to access something.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    I came up with a solution to my twin fuel tank dilemma - sort of. I found a bunch of listings for 'dual fuel tank switching valve' and they all appear to be either 3 port (one in/two out) or 6 port (same - doubled up). The vast majority of the 3 port valves are identical (they look like copies of Ford and GM OEM fuel tank selector valves) and the prices can be vastly different (from $25ish USD to $50ish USD) but as always the freight is brutal. It will eliminate the need for 2 pumps, should simplify the install but the part is specified for a non-return line fuel system and the selector valve must be installed with filters into both inlet ports from the tank - that means the pump must be installed in the main fuel line after the selector valve. Not ideal with an electric fuel pump.
    geezer, I 1st became aware of a fuel tank switch at GSA Auctions of a 1983 Chevrolet Truck (it needed it replaced in the auction write-up) internet images of this type truck showed the switch located about center of the dash... https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucbdcls/

I searched for: "fuel tank switch" within the results of a list of "Closed Auctions" At the GSA Auctions home page, click on "Browse by Status" then click on "Closed Auctions" this will show 2 years of auction history... You will see the aforementioned 1983 Chevy truck on this list...

LOOK at this link, it explains the Chevrolet Fuel Switch systems: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=754061

Ya think Australia is big enough for two fuel tanks (?) without driving off the other side..?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    geezer, I 1st became aware of a fuel tank switch at GSA Auctions of a 1983 Chevrolet Truck (it needed it replaced in the auction write-up) internet images of this type truck showed the switch located about center of the dash... https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucbdcls/

I searched for: "fuel tank switch" within the results of a list of "Closed Auctions" At the GSA Auctions home page, click on "Browse by Status" then click on "Closed Auctions" this will show 2 years of auction history... You will see the aforementioned 1983 Chevy truck on this list...

LOOK at this link, it explains the Chevrolet Fuel Switch systems: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=754061

Ya think Australia is big enough for two fuel tanks (?) without driving off the other side..?
    I'd like to use the factory style dash switches that are available on ebay as part of this install (I'll put it in the centre console if it happens). The dual fuel set up in GM/Ford trucks are a main + auxiliary tank? Some of the control systems utilise the fuel level as a trigger to swap over the tanks (I'm going to opt for a manual override) To give you an idea of what travel time from city to city in Oz is like - Adelaide to Melbourne is 8/8.5 hours via road non stop. That is the nearest capital city from my home town. The main reason why I'd want to add a tank is the cost in fuel spikes. We are now paying $1.70ish AUD/Litre at peak price. On the low side of the pricing cycle it isn't going lower than $1.29/L. And I like having an ace or 2 up my sleeve. Thanks for the links xboxrox

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Off Topic
    Need more charging stations & aftermarket sound effects for me to consider owning an electric truck 4x4 or Jeep
    Gas is high priced in Hawaii too

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Off Topic
    Need more charging stations & aftermarket sound effects for me to consider owning an electric truck 4x4 or Jeep
    Gas is high priced in Hawaii too
    ...ask tortron how much he's getting gouged at the pump NZ folks are paying through the eye sockets for fuel. And another off topic to the off topic - there are some car makers that are already 'fudging' their products by adding noise makers to them. Look up Volkswagens "soundaktor". Give me the gasp of an air intake and the bark of an obnoxious sports exhaust every day...

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The Land of Oz is on this List..!

Top 10 Countries With The Cheapest And Most Expensive Gas

• Venezuela. Price per gallon: $0.02. Average daily wage: $16.14. ...
    • Kuwait. Price per gallon: $0.88. ...
    • United States. Price per gallon: $2.57. ...
    • Luxembourg. Price per gallon: $4.69. ...
    • Saudi Arabia. Price per gallon: $0.91. ...
    • United Arab Emirates. Price per gallon: $1.80. ...
    • Switzerland. Price per gallon: $5.58. ...
    • Australia. Price per gallon: $3.57.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    New Zealand should be on that list way before Australia. Man do they get gouged for fuel...

On another note and tangent - the Hung Dog took yet another hit a few weeks ago and is pretty bent up (hooray for guys who let their autistic princesses borrow their Focus ST turbos...) Both front chassis rail are bent, passenger fender and front bar took it side on but it is still driveable. A war is ensuing with the other parties' insurance co and I've dealt with these guys before so I know what I'm getting into. After assessing the upcoming years' massive expenditures we are making a few changes. The truck has been taking far too long for me to get back together and operational so it is time for me let go of it and pass it into someone else's hands. Waifu's car is 16 years old and she's landed a new job that is a little harder to commute, and there's every chance my wagon will be written off even after pouring nearly $2k into it in the last 12 months which SUCKS. The Hyundai has been perfect for hauling work crap and as taxi service for the kids. She's getting new wheels (don't know what yet) and I either have to get a replacement myself or formulate a strategy to solve my working/taxi situation that doesn't leave me stranded in the interim. I'm not tapping out - just a change in plan

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Yeah lol we have front and rear facing cameras on every car in the yard. Protects us against these autistic princesses.

Fortunately for me I am dating someone who can actually drive lol.

I would reccomend a Toyota Camry or Avalon, both the I4 and V6 models are very reliable, but the V6 tends to get more mileage and has more grunt, and the V6 models also have bigher brakes and more options.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The Focus ST has rear proximity sensors and I was on the horn the nano-second I saw those reversing lights go on but she stood on that pedal like she was killing a cockroach - twice. Once on initial impact, and again after she knocked it out of gear and back into reverse a second time while she was still pinned to me. I knew I was talking to a winner when the first thing she said to me was "do you think I can get it (my boyfriends car) fixed without him knowing?" My reply was - "he's a guy... he'll notice - but that won't get that (pointing to my somewhat crushed plastic and metal modern art sculpture) fixed..."

Oh FFS, it was only 18 months ago I had a kid on a Kawasaki try to embed himself in my passenger door. He was a winner too This is the crap that makes me scared to put my truck on the road. The only upside is the Gen 1 is like tank armour compared to most new cars. If anyone rear ends it or backs into the front of it, they're gonna get messed up badly before I see any real damage.

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Lol. My brother had a 82 2wd Model d50 with the 2.0L. Someone in a 90s model lifted chevy pickup rear ended him at a redlight. It tore the front end out from under the chevrolet and it bent the bumper and tailgate on the d50. So yes they are tanks. He had the infamous fuel pump leak and he would drive from spartanburg to saluda, stop at the house, top off the oil (with whatever as long as it was slick) and go to whatever football game or school or something. And he put well over 400k and it still ran when he parked it. It's in his backyard now but it has sat over 10 years and time has taken a toll on the poor little thing. I still think its salvageable though.

I love these trucks they are basically bulletproof if you take care if them and keep coolant in it.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The Hung Dog lives... again... sort of. The insurance company tried to pass me off with a sympathy vote and a bus ticket but I wasn't having none of that. Carsguide listed the premium price for a GLS 2.0 and then I looked up what the worst offer online was for a similar mileage and optioned Hyundai, dropped the value for rust and paint, then factored in the accessories and told them what I wanted (not a stupid offer but what I'd pay if I was buying it before post-modernist sculpting) I took a heat gun, timber chocks, a pry bar, a concrete breaker bar and a ratchet strap, pulled the worst of the damage out of it and picked up a few parts at my UPI yard to replace the busted corner indicator and a dodgy power window switch bank for the drivers door (which still has a bad switch but meh, I can rebuild it...)

A stroke of bad luck turns fortune in my favour so now, I have potential funds to use on my truck! The front end on the Hung dog isn't super straight but it drives without griefing me. It's needed a front wheel alignment since I replaced the struts and control arms last year so hopefully someone will be able to sort it even though it's taken a hit. Time to fix my drive line, finish reassembling the control arms and maybe scrounge the LSD I've had on my Xmas wish list...

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    geezer, you're HAPPY & we're HAPPY for you too have fun using the money... One thing: the names of your tools are different I think one you mentioned using "ratchet strap" is what we commonly call a "come along" ?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    geezer, you're HAPPY & we're HAPPY for you too have fun using the money... One thing: the names of your tools are different I think one you mentioned using "ratchet strap" is what we commonly call a "come along" ?
    I didn't use something like a recovery winch, it was literally a ratchet strap (a tie-down for cargo etc) I wrapped one end around the end of the passengers side upper chassis rail and hooked it up to the big @ss tree in my yard and cranked it until I got 3/8" stretched back into alignment. Not perfect, but enough for me to adjust the panels to disguise the worst of it. Extra good news - wheel alignment was successful which means the damage was only cosmetic (I haven't paid for a wheel alignment the entire time I've owned it lol) I also cobbled together a power antenna from a late model Hyundai (massive PITA) as EVERY Hyundai sportswagon has a broken power antenna. It was fit for a tutorial for the Hyundai forums I may very well have the only working antenna in Australia lol...

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    OMG geezer, you're too much fun dude..!

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    OMG geezer, you're too much fun dude..!
    I'm not sure if I qualify as 'fun' but if I keep up with my shenanigans, eventually the locals are going to start lining up on the footpath with camp chairs to watch my acts of lunacy. I decided today was a good day to start stripping window tint from it - apparently it wasn't... Took 1 1/2 hours to remove tint from the quarter window and door glass from the passenger rear door and I discovered the window channel is severely rotted out for my efforts. So now more parts scrounging and money on a car I'm trying not to spend on. However me buying crap for the Hung Dog and some new tyres got me out of some potentially bad sh*t this evening. Took my dad out for dinner and on the way driving him home I got pulled up by a roadside testing station. 3 days earlier I had a front indicator out, a back brake light and 2 very dubious tyres. Dodged a proverbial bullet
    (and I don't ever drive if I plan on the rare occasion to have a drink, so I blew the big 0.0 and was sent on my way - a totally non-sh*t night

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Good Job geezer, especially the part about taking your pop to dinner, excellent
    Google says try: remove tint glue with 0000 wire wool and a mixture of hot water, dawn and ammonia.
    Me & the wife made a trip from Kailua to town (Honolulu) today; here is a pic of Kamehameha Hwy & Pali Hwy intersection on the windward side of Oahu... Temp gauge musta got "UNSTUCK" it seems to have found a new place to rest on the gauge face arch (about 1/3 into the arch length) previously it always stayed right on the 1st black line on the arch...
    Pali Hwy 61.jpg

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Google recommends a number of things... but I have found that a hot gun to lift the film, then premixed sugar soap in a spray bottle and a fresh break away blade not only removes the water based glue cleanly but also preps the glass leaving it spotless (bloody cleanest I've seen glass ever). Steel wool can bite into the glass - game over. I'll also remove all door glass to strip and install the new tint. Biggest headache will be the tail gate rear window. The heater/demister grid can easily get damaged so using a blade is off the options (maybe a melamine block and the sugar soap...) Been a while since I've done tint - I must be due for a reminder why that is the case

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    And now I'm finally updating my thread. Thanks to the entire planet being forced into isolation I've taken a chunk of my day to try out a budget trim idea I came up with while haunting ebay.

First thing I ordered back in January was this stuff -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/135x50cm-PU....c100012.m1985

Then this -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-Car-Styl...72.m2749.l2649

I didn't want to go overboard with the carbon fibre look film and I also felt like it needed something to bring a little detail to the interior. The end result was -
    IMG_20200414_155613.jpgIMG_20200414_160113.jpg
    The self adhesive stuff looks decent. Pretty close to the quality you'd normally find in a car interior. The red trim strip simply tucks into the gap at the top of the door card. All up I got enough to theoretically cover the entire top of a dash if you had to fix one that was badly cracked and 5 metres of trim strip for just under $20 USD. I did try the trim strip around the the dash bezel but I wasn't sure if I liked it. I went to town with it in the Hung Dog wagon and it works in that dash and centre console (the COVID's encouraged me to sharpen up the wagon so I bought an early Tiburon steering wheel, covered it with a real leather DIY stitched cover, made my own quick shifter and replaced the head unit with a nice JVC 4 RCA channel out multi media/disc player and fixed a number of little gremlins that have resided in the wagon for ages)

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Slick geezer

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I have to get a decent camera (I uploaded from my phone via my desk top and the horrid 18 pixel camera I bought won't focus and is hell light sensitive) I'll be buying more of the adhesive vinyl stuff to finish off a bunch of cab trim and maybe re-do the passenger door top as there is a reoccurring bubble in one spot and I ham-fisted the cut down one edge.
    Next on my to-do list... SEAT RAILS! I got a local shop who welds stuff cheap and I can cut and jig the brackets myself.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Oh, and thanks George This sorta stuff is easy to pull off - it looks presentable and is dirt cheap. I did need a little help with rolling the vinyl over into the window gap as it wanted to stick to everything (kudos to my girl Lilly - thanks )

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Geezer, that looks awesome dude, nicely done.
    I haven't even started thinking about what to do with the interior yet, still trying to do some component additions and whatnot. It definitely needs help though and the dash pad is pretty much useless. Cracked to metal and warped all over the place

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast