Array
    Status
    Kuna, ID
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63

oil light

My oil light comes on when I decelerate from anything over 45, and then when I rev the engine it goes away until I stop revving. any help would be appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Anything that checks oil pressure and is not working correctly needs attention immediately. If I was you I would install an oil pressure gauge for in cab view. It takes about 10 seconds for an engine to start spinning bearings at 25mph when oil pressure is lost. Something is setting the light off and you need to correct it. You could be losing your oil pump or could have a clogged oiler in the engine that is slowing the oil passage. The engine doesn't have to over heat to break, just lose oil pressure for a very short time will break it really quick. You can put a splitter on your oil sensor hole on the engine. Put your dummy light back on one side of the splitter and a dial oil pressure gauge sensor on the other side. Attach a gauge connection to the new sensor and install gauge in the dash somewhere.

Array
    Status
    Kuna, ID
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    So what would be my best plan of action?

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    First check the oil. If it's low on oil, it's gonna make the light trigger when slowing because the oil sloshed forward in the pan preventing any from getting picked up. If it's full, grab a gauge and check the pressures to see if it is within spec. If it isn't, you probably need a new pump. If it is in spec, you probably have a messed up switch.

Array
    Status
    Kuna, ID
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    thanks for the help.