Thread: 11,000 miles in 6 months... maintenance help?

Array
    Status
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

11,000 miles in 6 months... maintenance help?

I plan to do big things to my mighty max here soon, but for now I need some help... I hit 50,000 miles now and my maintenance required light came on... checking the manual it says I need to replace the egr system (egr valve) and replace the fuel and vapor hoses... what tools do I need and how do I replace them? Also where is a good place to get said items? Thank you for your help!
    Jacob

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    well if the hoses are ok, then just flip the switch behind the filler plate on the dash to turn off the light. It's on the right side opposite the Flasher switch, Pop the little plate with a small flathead screwdriver and you'll see a tiny switch in there, move it to the other side.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Your truck only has 50k miles? Wow! But don't forget that its not only a matter of miles but also length of time. Id give it a good look over checking all the hoses and fluids. The hoses should be fairly flexible. If you squeeze a hose and it makes a crunchy noise it needs to be replaced. All fluids should be clean looking and not foul smelling. Spark plugs, cap and rotor look good? Fuel filters are cheap and not too hard to change out.

Timing belts/balance shaft belts/ tensioners get old and are prone to breaking which is a huge problem on these trucks.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    50K miles? You sure you don't want to stick it back where it came from and wake it up in another 20+ years?

That engine is barely broken in compared to how long they can last if oil changed regularly and taken care of. They can easily go to 275K...and some go even farther to 375K+. Not really a ton of things to do and I would follow crvtec90 advise, especially on the timing belts. They are a cheap item to replace and they save a lot of money in case a belt goes into a melt down. They usually last around 60K to 80K and non-interference valves will help from making contact with a piston incase a belt breaks sometime.
    Congratulations on keeping low miles on such a older truck. That is a rare thing nowadays.