Array
    Status
    Georiga
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

help with 4wd

Just picked up an 84 d50. Truck runs pretty good but I cant get the 4wd to engage. When the shifter is in 2wd I can spin the front drive shaft, and when its in 4 hi or 4 lo I cant spin the driveshaft. So, I assume the shifter and transfer case is working. im not really sure how auto locking hubs work, but I assume its not engaging at the hub. im thinking about just buying manual hubs and see if that works? any help is appreciated. Thanks, Jeremy.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    i have an 83 with manual locking & an 86 with autolocking-measure return spring (outermost spring) free length (DIAMETER distance for 360 degree rotation should be 35mm or 1.4"), measure shift spring free length (distance for 360 degree rotation should be 30mm or 1.2"), grease:sae J310a / nlgi grade#2, free wheeling hub body assembly 50 - 58 Nm (37 - 43 ftlbs) best of luck

Array
    Status
    Georiga
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thanks for the response. Im still trying to figure out how the auto hubs even work. Do you think im right in thinking its my hubs? Or, could it be the differential? Thanks for any help.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Take the hub apart and clean them thoroughly and re-grease them, shim if needed, sometimes a good cleaning will get them working.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Also you may want to pick up a manual on your 4WD 85 truck. Or better yet...Check our manuals section out in our forum, they are very helpful and you may download one for home if you like.

Array
    Status
    Georiga
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thanks for the help everyone. I cleaned and greased my hubs and it didnt fix it right away. But, after driving around and messing mith the 4wd it now engages. Thanks for the replies. Jeremy