Array
    Status
    Alaska
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

New Member; New Truck; New Problems...1987 Ram 50

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and am looking for some info. Before I get to the questions, here is some background...

I used to have a '86 Mighty Max in high school, so I am somewhat familiar with working on these trucks. The truck was plagued with ignition system and electrical problems, which ultimately led to it's demise and caught on fire while I was driving it one day. Since then I have missed these trucks, and recently was offered a steal on a '87 Ram 50. It was too good to refuse for the price, so I agreed on it. Today is the day I pick up the truck, knowing that it turns over but doesn't start. The guy claims that he changed the rotor cap, wires, and plugs but that didn't fix it. After doing some research, I have repeatedly read that the stock carburetors on these trucks were a POS. I have rebuilt 2 carburetors in my life, my '86 Mighty Max and my '79 Honda CB750K, and I do not want to rebuild another carb. So if I can't get it running, I plan on buying a new carburetor. So this is where my questions start...

I have my eyes on a Weber 38 with electric choke carburetor kit (eBay). Will this carburetor be a direct fit, or will I need to buy an adapter kit to get it to fix? Is there a more viable option for a carburetor?

I am very limited on where I can order from because most places will not ship to Alaska. We also don't have many junk yards around here, there's only 2 that I know of and one of them is over an hour away.

I appreciate any help or insight. Thanks for reading.

-Tyler

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    any weber needs an adaptor kit to install it on either motor. If your truck is stock, that is too much of a carb for it, Look for a 32 / 36 dfev / dgev 2 stage progressive carb instead. You will also need to install an electric fuel pump to feed it, as the stock mechanical one will cause you problems. Before you go replacing the carb, have you replaced the fuel filter? If plugged with rust it won't get gas to run.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Alaska
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    any weber needs an adaptor kit to install it on either motor. If your truck is stock, that is too much of a carb for it, Look for a 32 / 36 dfev / dgev 2 stage progressive carb instead. You will also need to install an electric fuel pump to feed it, as the stock mechanical one will cause you problems. Before you go replacing the carb, have you replaced the fuel filter? If plugged with rust it won't get gas to run.
    Thanks for the response. I ended up ordering a Weber 32/36 and a Carter 4070 electric pump with an in line fuel filter and an oil pressure switch. I wanted to eventually do a 2BBL swap, so figure now is a better time than ever. I picked the truck up for $200 so I have a little bit of wiggle room.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the adaptor for the 32/36 is the same for the 38 dges, so you just need the carb when you are ready
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980