Thread: 2.4L 4g64 Head on a 2.0L G63B auto block?

Array
    Status
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

2.4L 4g64 Head on a 2.0L G63B auto block?

Hello,
    I wanted to know if it is possible to put a 2.4L 4G64 head on my G63B block? I believe my block is the wide block as I have the automatic trans but I'm not totally sure if my block is narrow or wide I think I had read that the ones with auto trans were wide block. My Block is the original block out of my 1989 Ram 50( 11/88) the 2.4L head is off of a 1990 MM. What all is involved with this kind of swap or is it even possible?
    Thanks,
    Bacon/Jeremy

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    I think the first problem is the Cam Belt, doesn't the G63B have a cam chain?

Array
    Status
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by LSR Mike View Post
    I think the first problem is the Cam Belt, doesn't the G63B have a cam chain?
    If you're referring to the timing it's a belt not a chain.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I'll chime in kinda half assed here, but virtually all the other Mitsu 4G6X engines from a later model years are interchangeable between other years. You can swap heads of many model years between the two.

Between the G64 and G63 of the 8 Valve variety, I'd be willing to bet they are interchangeable. The deck castings are the same, the timing is the same, and pretty much all the other componets are the same. The only thing I would double check is the manifold patters and combustion chambers. Your compression ratios may change. The G64 doesn't have the jet valve either (no big deal).

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Here is your wideblock / narrowblock information
    a 4g64(2.4L) head will fit on a g63b because they are the same series of motors

Last edited by BradMph; 05-01-2014 at 06:37 PM.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Yea it can be done as they are virtually identical besides the 4g64 head has a little bigger combustion chamber and no jet valves.

Array
    Status
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks yall for that info that is wonderful news. Can I use the valve cover from my 2.0L on the 2.4L? I'm in the process of getting a wiring harness and a Ecu. I know I'll have to get a fuel pump to work with but is there anything else I'm going to have to have to make this swap happen other than my time? I picked up a 2.4L head yesterday with complete intake mani including fuel rails and injectorswith some wire connection and the top part of a second intake mani for $100 from the local craiglist listing (local garage trying to clear out some shop space) I posted in the craiglist thread seems like a helluva deal and the guy said he had another 2.4L head at his house if I wanted it I can get it for $50. I'll probably pick that up in case I need it down the road or if someone on here needs one.

Thanks,
    Bacon
    Last edited by Bacon86; 05-01-2014 at 11:11 PM.

Array
    Status
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    The reason I'm looking into this swap is my current setup runs but I have valve stem seal leaking and my munki carb is shit and I don't have the cash for the weber set up. Thanks folks for yall's help I appreciate it,

Bacon

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    The valve covers are the same also, though I am sure the cast is a little different with the design, but the holes line up. I have a valve cover for a 2.4 and almost put it on, but changed my mind as usual.
    Your going to need timing belts, covers, gaskets, harness (not sure if connectors are a fit, radiator hose(pretty sure), these are off the top of my head. Best thing is check out DroppedMistu's build thread on this change. He went through this stuff and his thread is pretty good, minus the turbo unless you get a little inheritance somewhere. You probably will find things along the way that you run into. Pretty good job to start your learning with, but you got good help behind you and here, You'll get it figured out.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    If you just want to put the 2.4 head on with no fuel injection then its easy, and yes the 2.0 and 2.4 valve covers interchange. If you want to use fuel injection then you are also going to need the 2.4 engine harness and ecu, and all other sensors/pieces nec. to run fuel injection.

Array
    Status
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    The valve covers are the same also, though I am sure the cast is a little different with the design, but the holes line up. I have a valve cover for a 2.4 and almost put it on, but changed my mind as usual.
    Your going to need timing belts, covers, gaskets, harness (not sure if connectors are a fit, radiator hose(pretty sure), these are off the top of my head. Best thing is check out DroppedMistu's build thread on this change. He went through this stuff and his thread is pretty good, minus the turbo unless you get a little inheritance somewhere. You probably will find things along the way that you run into. Pretty good job to start your learning with, but you got good help behind you and here, You'll get it figured out.
    Thanks I'll look in that thread.

Array
    Status
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by DroppedMitsu View Post
    If you just want to put the 2.4 head on with no fuel injection then its easy, and yes the 2.0 and 2.4 valve covers interchange. If you want to use fuel injection then you are also going to need the 2.4 engine harness and ecu, and all other sensors/pieces nec. to run fuel injection.
    Thanks for that info and I sent you a pm with a few questions.

Array
    Status
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    All the painted stuff is off of a 90 2.4L the other is off a 93 or 94 2.4L2.4L 10.jpg2.4L 8.jpg2.4L 7.jpg2.4L 6.jpg2.4L 5.jpg2.4L 4.jpg2.4L 3.jpg2.4L 2.jpg2.4L 1.jpg2.4L 9.jpg The sad thing is I don't know what half of this is... I gotta meet up with the guy I got this stuff tomorrow as he forgot the other distributor and some other stuff.

Array
    Status
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I done some research and now know the majority of what I have. I meet up with the guy today and picked up the rest of the parts as well( extra dizzy starter and the complete Maf setup including all the hoses to connect everything.

I still need to get a engine wiring harness, ecu and mpi relay as well as a fuel pump. Oh and a timing belt... do I need one for a 2.0 or a 2.4?

Thanks yall,
    Bacon

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    You need the belt that matches the block. 2.0 = 2.0, 2.4 = 2.4 belt.

Array
    Status
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks Merrill I need the 2.0 belt then I appreciate it!

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by DroppedMitsu View Post
    Yea it can be done as they are virtually identical besides the 4g64 head has a little bigger combustion chamber and no jet valves.
    Any idea what the CR would be with this combo?

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I have no idea, but it's not extreme numbers.

If you have a head off, measure the CC of both.