Array
    Status
    Calcium, NY
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8

89 Dodge D50 Longbox 155.9 CID Automatic

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site. I recently bought this truck 111,600 miles one owner,great shape . The guy replaced the head because it was broke. Ever since he put back together hasn't been able run correctly. I got it home finished hookin vaccum lines up, fresh battery. Wouldn't start.. dump fuel down carb, would fire up 2 seconds. Unhook fuel line from carb no fuel... is the fuel pump in the tank?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    No it is, or should be, next to the carb off the drivers side of the head. The pump can be put on wrong, so that it doesn't ride on the cam lobe to pump fuel, or it could be bad. Also check the fuel filter, it is back by the tank under the filler tube into the tank. If the mechanical pump is missing, it could have an electric fuel pump; that could be anywhere on the fuel line, but usually back by the tank, as most of the pumps are pusher types. Also make sure the right fuel lines are on the right ports on the pump; there are 3 lines and hooking it to the wrong one could leave it unable to pull fuel from the tank.
    Last edited by pennyman1; 03-28-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: more info
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    The 89 should be carbureted. It's right where pennyman said it was and not in tank, or electric. From what I read, to me it sounds like you drove it home and hooked up the vac lines and now it doesn't run. Is this correct?

Array
    Status
    Calcium, NY
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    No I didn't drive it home, I trailered it home. I bought it without it running, got it home finished hooking up vaccum lines. Hoping that's all it was.. Hmmm? I wonder if pump wasn't put back on right. It is leaking a bit of oil around where the pump mounts. No biggie tho I just ordered a new pump and filter . At least I'll know that's all new.. looking forward to getting the truck up and running. I miss my mighty max....

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I hope that's it. Since it ran with you dumping gas into the carb.

Array
    Status
    Calcium, NY
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8

Question

Does anyone know the proper gas line feed and return routing.. I believe I have all vaccum lines hooked up correctly.. now I have this one last hose up near the firewall coming from fuel pump and I can't find where it goes... book doesn't tell me anything at all

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Sorry man. I only remember the bigger one being the feed. Don't remember which was which.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V8
    im sure you could just search the internet for the diagram. I wish i could help you out...

either got some clogs, bad pump, filter,.. i put a filter on backwards once..felt like a joack ass...took me like a week to go back a check it.....
    sounds to me that its def not getting fuel.

i hope you resolve your problem man

Array
    Status
    Calcium, NY
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    Starting to get a bit frustrated.. replaced fuel pump and still not getting fuel. ran a fuel to an external fuel tank and still nothing.. almost like the carb isnt allowing the fuel in...its got the mikunni carb.. does anyone out there have a holley for sale. a new one is a grand..spray starter fluid into carb and fires up stays running as long as I keep spraying it... maybe a carb rebuild? I dunno?

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Yeah might be it....floats? Disconnect the main flow line...turn it over and see if u get gas...you tried that.

And maybe jets clogged. How long dis this thing set?
    Just throwing things at ya.
    Trying to help

Array
    Status
    Calcium, NY
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    Yup pulled main fuel line I got fuel flowing.. gonna take the bowl off tommorrow and let carb sit in carb cleaner for a day or so.. then attempt to rebuild it.. or just send it off to get rebuilt.. or.. I found a website that'll sell me a reconditioned MIK-12 carb with a 3 year warranty for $239...

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by billyd View Post
    Yup pulled main fuel line I got fuel flowing.. gonna take the bowl off tommorrow and let carb sit in carb cleaner for a day or so.. then attempt to rebuild it.. or just send it off to get rebuilt.. or.. I found a website that'll sell me a reconditioned MIK-12 carb with a 3 year warranty for $239...
    me and my dad were talking about this on the way home...he said it could be so many things if it sat for a while....
    good luck man...hopefully you can take enough apart and clean it to get it to work a lil and then it running will help clean it....if not that mik-12 deal is not bad i dont think

Array
    Status
    Calcium, NY
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    Got my brother in law coming over tomorrow to take the carb apart .. got my fingers crossed it's just gummed up and sticking.. to compound my problems even more... while I was looking for the filter found my frame was rotted at the driver side rear leaf spring perch.. for as good of condition the rest of the truck is in.. I'm gonna take it to the nearest DOT certified welding shop to get repaired.. like I said before I had the mighty maxx and miss it.. so for only paying 500 for this truck.. I probably gonna sink some money into to keep it...

Array
    Status
    Calcium, NY
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8

weber carb

Anyone ever do a weber conversion swap? I got a price off ebay for 289 for a brand new weber 2 barrel carb.. free shipping... just curious if anyone had any luck with the weber K-614, that way I'll be able to get the heck away from the stock mikuni I got on there... I do plan on doing more upgrades to it...

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Do it. There are a few webber threads on the old board. Not really a carb person so o don't pay too much attention to which carbs they are using or where they are getting their parts.

Array
    Status
    Calcium, NY
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    Got it running today.. tore the carb apart today, found the float to be stuck.. not because of it gummed up but there's 2 flaps in the bowl of carb.. and I think when the previous owner put carb back together one of the flaps was was up.. therefore keepeing the float up and not allowing fuel.. cleaned carb put back on truck runs beautiful....still gonna try and find a carb rebuild kit for it.. sending it off to the welder this week..

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    glad to see it running...i have had so many problems with carbs..i usually check the float first...thats why i mentioned it to you..

i had a pocket bike that the p/o said wouldnt run...bought ..got it home.. tore carb apart... same problem... the little flaps above the float were bent and wouldnt allow everything to do its job properly....

10 minutes later i was riding around....

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I'm glad you got it running. I woulda been so clueless and gave up. And started another 4g63 project truck. Lol.

Array
    Status
    Calcium, NY
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    Truck is running decent.. having an overheating issue now.. asked previous owner if he replaced the head bolts when he replaced head, and of course he didn't.. checked torque on em only 55 ft lbs... ordered new head bolts, gonna replace this weekend. Welded my frame up in 4 different spots, undercoated truck. Buffed her out lookin like the way she did in 89 minus the very little rust on box body line. Now just waiting for NYS to ok my license application.. note to self no more drinking and driving....

Array
    Status
    Calcium, NY
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    Well its been a while friends... update on the truck.. i've pretty much gone completely through the truck. Brand new mikuni carb, new head job everything on the external side of the motor has been replaced. Just found a good deal on a radiator replacing that today.. so far truck has been very good to me. Put some nissan factory rims on it, its a rather good looking 89 if i must say myself. I'll post pics of the old girl later...i wanna eventually do a rear roll pan and a suspension drop. Anyone know where to look for them parts. ?