Array
    Status
    Hawthorne, FL
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Timing Belt Tension Adjustment?

What should it look like when it is done properly? Have the shop manual and have looked at several sources, thus driving my question. I put the timing belt on as outlined, with all timing marks lined up (crank, oil pump and cams), then go to take the tension out of the belt by moving the cams two teeth... Here is the glitch. New belt only giving me slack for one tooth, before it starts moving the crank shaft and oil pump off their timing marks. So when I get done....what should it look like? Crank and Oil pump marks on the inicators and the cams advanced two? I can "adjust" where the cam setting to make it look like the drawings.

Does the head need to be advance 2 teeth beyond the timing mark to be in synch with the lower end when done correctly?

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    When all is said and done when the engine is at top dead center(cylinder 1) all the timing marks should line up with their respective mark

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It can be tricky getting the marks to stay aligned when installing a timing belt. If you're consistently getting the cam sprocket out by 2 teeth then the simple solution is to compensate for the sprocket being pulled out by 2 teeth. Rotate the the engine 4 full turns by hand and check the timing alignment marks. If they return exactly to the marks, you've nailed it. Don't forget that performing work on the engine like skimming the head and the block will have a small affect on the accuracy of the timing mark dial in (not by much but it won't look 'perfect) As long as you've got the tension right and you re-adjust it once the belt has bedded in, the timing will be correct.