Array
    Status
    North Greensboro, Nc
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

2nd Gen Control Arm questions

So after Stripping down the front suspension and investigating the years of abuse on all ball joints, bushings tie rod..etc etc, I am very curious has anybody ever swapped control arms from another brand? Im talking about swapping control arms, spindles, brake calipers. Whats a good suggestion? Has it been done? Also can i swap steering arms (lowers) out with another brand thats longer to get more steering angle? (no ps)
    Goal is Static drop for track/drift events. I am also in process of mono leaf and spring assist coil. Rear end is out getting welded solid while waiting to find a ford 8.8.
    Suggestions? Advice? It would be nice to swap this stuff out so when stuff breaks i can easily find replacements parts and to give better geometry to the truck.
    Fyi this wont be and isnt my DD.

Array
    Status
    North Greensboro, Nc
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I am open to ideas before stripping everything down to frame rail and going full custom

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    If you just throw another makes c/a and spindles,etc on then you are not going to fix the geometry of anything, you are going to make it worse by trying to mix two manufacturers geometry/setups, plus most other trucks are front steer and the mighty max is rear steer. The mighty max geometry isnt really that bad compared to a lot of vehicles. Steering angle im sure could be improved by modiying a few things on the stock front end, I see guys doing it all day long on nissan hardbodies for drifting,etc.. To throw another manufacturers front end parts on the truck you'd need to use their front frame section, or redesign/build the mitsu front end around whatever front end parts you decide to use.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Just build it once, build it right.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Look at getting the moog lower control arms if you need the little stuff as a lot of the small items that are hard to find come on the replacement arm from Moog already.

Array
    Status
    North Greensboro, Nc
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Well, I just ordered all new idler arm, tie rod uppers and lowers, Control arm bushings, ball joints etc and just cutting one coil of springs and putting better shocks on it. Brake caliper rebuilds, taking middle leaf from rear for time being. I will be running 16in with -6 offset on 4.2 backspacing.

Array
    Status
    North Greensboro, Nc
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I might be skipping around doing some suspension stuff but really need to get it to my buddys shop for either 4g63t swap or 7m swap lol he keeps pushing me on the 7m i might entertain after seeing build cost and power output/reliability

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    whats a 7m swap?
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    North Greensboro, Nc
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    7mgte from early model supra. Friend runs a shop that deals with primarily supras and he keeps putting the idea in my head. And yes it will still be cheaper $ per horsepower than a 4g63t swap as we can do all the fab work needed...and it wont pop as soon (dont worry i actually know how to control the crave for more boost.)

Array
    Status
    North Greensboro, Nc
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by DroppedMitsu View Post
    .. To throw another manufacturers front end parts on the truck you'd need to use their front frame section, or redesign/build the mitsu front end around whatever front end parts you decide to use.
    I've always thought about using a ranger front half section/frame. Even had one for a bit and started mocking mounts up for a 350 swap. I just couldnt get over hacking the truck up that much. It is a family truck and has history. Plus every time i start building something cool a friend comes in and starts waving money at me so i sell. So far ive built 3 engines for this thing and sold all of them before starting the transplant. 400 bored .30 over (406ci) sold right after completing the bottom end enough to hold 600hp+. 350 sbc sold after rebuild because a shop next door to one of my shops saw pics (full polished and painted by me) and bought it and put in a 68 camaro. Last but not least i was gifted a vortec 4.3 and sold it right in the middle of rebuild right after ordering cam, valves, etc etc. So thats why a polished rebuilt with weber factory 2.0 is still in the ole mm

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Rymar Garage View Post
    I've always thought about using a ranger front half section/frame. Even had one for a bit and started mocking mounts up for a 350 swap. I just couldnt get over hacking the truck up that much. It is a family truck and has history. Plus every time i start building something cool a friend comes in and starts waving money at me so i sell. So far ive built 3 engines for this thing and sold all of them before starting the transplant. 400 bored .30 over (406ci) sold right after completing the bottom end enough to hold 600hp+. 350 sbc sold after rebuild because a shop next door to one of my shops saw pics (full polished and painted by me) and bought it and put in a 68 camaro. Last but not least i was gifted a vortec 4.3 and sold it right in the middle of rebuild right after ordering cam, valves, etc etc. So thats why a polished rebuilt with weber factory 2.0 is still in the ole mm

Well, when can I place my order for an engine you big push over. Learn to say "no" maybe and put your darn truck together. Is is evident you like to hear your engines run, but in other peoples trucks or cars? come on man. Stop dropping the great engines and get to working on your, quote "family truck" lol thats funny. Putting a V8 high perfromance in the FAMILY CAR. Gawd, I have heard it all now. Don't be afraid of hacking it up either, you can't take the truck with you, so do as your heart tells you to do and for god's sake tell your friends to take a hike while your doing it. Give them your Paypal account and have them make donations to your cause.
    History? I'll give you history...hows having your truck for 27 years sound, How's owning your first car ever for 37 years sound? Nothing new here, there are guys in here that have owned their trucks longer then me by almost 10 years and some with over 375,000 miles on them. There are guys ripping these things into pieces and putting them back piece by piece. I envy these builds and wish I could do what they do. So, get started on your build and keep us updated as your build progresses. Thats what we are here for, for the builds and imaginations.

Array
    Status
    North Greensboro, Nc
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    ^Great pov. very down to the point. But I did lead this story up a little incorrect. As Family truck I meant It has been my truck since 95, was purchased in 93. Ive driven that truck into the ground and back. This is just a project that ive been rebuilding actively for the last 3 years. It was my brothers truck and when he passed it sat for 12 years so had quite alot restoring to do. I have had multiple other projects come and go while working on this so i get a little destracted. I will post some pics and a build thread here today

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    are you swapping a rebuilt 7m or a stock 7m