Status
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Broken Exhaust manifold stud -- have to pull the head

hi gang,

i broke a stud off trying to remove the cracked exhaust manifold, and then i broke an extractor off after that. I have a machine shop that does these extractions but i have to pull the head.

My question is: what besides the head gasket and bolts should I have ready for when I remove the head? Should I have the shop replace anything while i'm at it?

The engine is running silky smooth so i don't think there are any major problems to address but i do want to get any no-brainers done while i'm doing it.

Thanks,

Pierre

Array
    Status
    IL
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Might be worth having them replace the valve stem seals, they typically get dried out and start to leak and they are pretty easy and cheap to do. Also, depending on your mileage, if you have the timing belt off you should change it if it hasn't been done already. Check the tensioners and make sure they spin relatively easy and dont grind or have anything else funky going on. And a fresh water pump doesn't hurt either. All of the above are cheap insurance for the future life of your baby.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Don't forget to re-torque the head after 500 miles to reassure the head gasket has been seated well. Try using anti-seize also on those old bolts. The stuff really works. Have your shop install some hardened studs so things don't happen again.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    do you still have access to the broken bolt?: i have on occasion had luck with tack welding (a piece of large bolt/old tool) onto the broken bolt let it cool then heat up the metal surrounding the broken bolt & maybe get it out. good luck

Array
    Status
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    hi bradmph,

when you say try using anti-seize on the old bolts, do you mean the head bolts? Or the manifold studs. I've already broken the manifold stud. I used the kroil stuff on the manifold studs and got all but the one of them off. The one that broke just fell off in my hands when i put the wrenches on it (i was using a triple-nut complex to loosen the studs). It was like it was already broken.

I have been worrying about the head bolts ... of course, thinking the worst i'm like .. ok what happens if a head bolt breaks off???

Array
    Status
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by ragragtimetime View Post
    do you still have access to the broken bolt?: i have on occasion had luck with tack welding (a piece of large bolt/old tool) onto the broken bolt let it cool then heat up the metal surrounding the broken bolt & maybe get it out. good luck
    Hey nope i don't have access to anything. it broke off inside the hole, and then i broke an extractor off too. The worst case .. i wish i had taken more time with it but i'm stuck with this mess now...

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    can you drill it out & put in a helicoil?: http://www.helicoil.com.sg/ if this is an option for you use a drill bit that will not make the hole too large or you will have to enlarge the exhaust manifold.

Array
    Status
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    yea probably a helicoil would be good i think the machine shop mentioned that as one of the options (if i messed up the threads with my attempt).

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    What is the correct size for the exhaust manifold studs?

8x1.25x ??????....I need to know the correct length in order to get replacements and I can't seem to find anything definitive.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I've asked in the Facebook page with no response.....