Array
    Status
    Wauchope, New South Wales, Australia
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B

Hello From Australia .... :)

Hi I'm John from Australia...I have had my Mitsubishi Triton for 10 years and it has been good to me but after I let it run out of Rego it sat for a year looking pretty sad until I got the courage up to give it a good paint job. It is the first car I have ever painted although I have a good knowledge of a lot of most coatings and painting techniques from experience painting other things...anyway I go to and took a lot of things apart and tried not to lose too many bits...

The paint is Sophia White Acrylic Lacquer with U-POL Raptor spray liner sprayed over epoxy etch in the tray....

It is not concourse but I am pleased with the result as it is intended to be my daily drive for many years to come....white is so forgiving too so that's good...I am falling in love with it again as well as older cars in general as they are nice and uncomplicated compared to the modern stuff...which is good for someone like me...

It is standard with a 2.6 Astron and 5 speed but I would like to give that department some attention next...perhaps a Weber and a set of headers and maybe a little head work....I still want it to be fairly stock but neat and drive nicely...

IMG1011web.jpgIMG945.jpgIMG951.jpgIMG961.jpgIMG969.jpgIMG1009web.jpg

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Hello, John, and what a nice job you did!

I'm curious: do the wing windows open and close? Here in the U.S., I've never seen a second-generation with wing windows.

Beautiful landscape behind the truck, too. How wonderful it must be to see such beauty, and have a cool truck to drive through it

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome to the forum, it's a pleasure to have a member from Australia join the crew. We enjoy hearing what you get to have on your trucks that we don't. In addition, the parts supply out there is somewhat more desirable, as well as the supply here in the states keeps dropping. You did a fantastic job on your truck and glad you posted the photos. Enjoy the forum and jump in anytime.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63
    Welcome, and great job on the truck.

Do like those wing windows......wish I had them here.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    In addition, the parts supply out there is somewhat more desirable, as well as the supply here in the states keeps dropping.
    LOL, one post and already hitting him up for rare Aussie parts.

Welcome to the forum, woodrat.

Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    welcome, and nice clean lookin' vehicle you got there

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    Thank You for the warm welcome....I was not aware of the differences between models like the wing windows not opening in the States. I have always known them as quarter windows or quarter glass but wing windows fits too...
    There are some parts that are no longer available as genuine ....still quite a few on the road though and the 2.6 was in a lot of vehicles here so second hand parts are still around and people still modifying them.
    I am not really a great mechanic but I do my own maintenance like oil changes and all other small stuff. The biggest job I have done on it is changing the timing chain a few years ago. I hope to have the motor rebuilt some time with a few warm parts like a Weber and headers....it still feels strong though at the moment even though it has 300,000 k's on it.
    The real reason I love it is the fact that it is a Club Cab (did they call them that in the States?) I am tall so having the extra room is really great and I can fit 3 guitar cases behind the seat too...
    One question I have for you guys in the States though is regarding tonneau covers....the only thing available here is aftermarket soft vinyl ones but there seem to be a lot of other options over there (from my internet searches) ...does anyone do a hard cover or semi-hard cover for them? I would love something different from the old style floppy material ones...

Cheers

John

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Hey John...here in the U.S., I don't think any of these trucks came with quarter windows at all. I doubt it was even an option.

You might consider building your own hard cover with plywood. Y'know, you could custom-design it for your specific needs. I had intended to do this (and still might) but I found some lumber racks that help in my work, but would also make it tricky to build around in order to keep them in service.
    scan0025.jpg

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    Hi Again....Yes I have thought of making a fiberglass one but then looking around the web for suppliers that you have over there in the States I came across this one...http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-...A5768A0A0.aspx ...I was wondering if anybody had one and knew what it was like....the price seems pretty good but you could double that once it was landed in Oz....still these type of lids are very expensive here anyway and they dont make them for older vehicles like mine ....We Aussies often dream about what is available in the States that we cant get....I suppose it is just a case of the US being such a enormous market compared to Australia that there is more demand for all sorts of things like this so people make and supply them.
    ...BTW I love the forum...

Cheers

John

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by royster View Post
    Hey John...here in the U.S., I don't think any of these trucks came with quarter windows at all. I doubt it was even an option.

You might consider building your own hard cover with plywood. Y'know, you could custom-design it for your specific needs. I had intended to do this (and still might) but I found some lumber racks that help in my work, but would also make it tricky to build around in order to keep them in service.
    scan0025.jpg
    Hi Royster, Sorry I forgot to answer your question about the quarter windows....yes they open. I have been having a good look at a lot of the Mighty Maxs on here and your right they dont have them. They must have thought that the US market would want a more modern look or something and we got the more "agricultural" version, but I like them all the same especially since I dont have A/C...
    I have been looking at US websites as most Aussies do to have an envious look at all the toys that we cant get over here...... anyway I spotted this and was wondering if you or anyone had seen one and what it is like....

untitled2.jpg
    The price seems reasonable but would double with freight and import duty...but things like that are very expensive in Australia...also they dont make them for older vehicles so it might be viable....would love to know if anybody has one...

Thanks

John

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    They must have thought that the US market would want a more modern look
    I'm more prone to think that by eliminating the manufacturing cost of the quarter windows they saved a few dollars per vehicle. American advertising would try to convince us it's a modern look, but it's an excuse to cut costs. Most older guys here appreciate quarter windows, especially in the rain.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Welcome to the site and nice truck.

That's a Macro Cab(Ext cab) truck and yes we did get them here in the states from 87-96. I have one but the windows do not pop open here in the states that I am aware of.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks for the replies and its great to link up with some people who share the passion...I will keep mine pretty stock but loving it now it is neat and tidy again....it was a bit of a drag when it was tatty... but now plenty of reasons to smile...
    I think I should buy spare doors and guards as they become available and stash them away in the roof as future insurance....especially doors as far eastern guards and bonnets (hoods to you people) are pretty available.
    Would love to know if anybody knows about the tonneau in my last post...

Cheers

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Fiberglass and ABS tonneau covers are a dime a dozen in the US. Anyone that fits a Ford Ranger should fit a 2nd gen regular bed, but don't quote me on that because I tend to be wrong. I like the ones Undercover makes.

http://undercoverinfo.com/new_classic.php

Array
    Status
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome and man that's a nice looking truck and you did an awesome job on the restore on it.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks for the welcome and the comments Bacon....I appreciate it! It was a lot of work but worth it....I love driving it now it looks nice and tidy...

Noah...thanks for the heads up regarding the fiberglass and ABS tonneaus....these sort of things are ridiculously expensive there in Oz...I suppose over there there is a lot of competition in the marketplace to keep the prices at a more affordable level. Still, I dont think anyone makes them for an old 2nd Gen Mits pickup or ute as we call them here.....were you saying that a Ford Ranger one will fir a regular bed meaning the small cabin version not the Macro Cab (Club Cab here)? What would fit my Macro (Club Cab)? Dimensions about 6'4" x 5'.

Thanks

John

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    Finally I got the last major bit done....you might have notices that the back window is missing in the pics....I didn't know how to do it so I went to see a friend who is a retired panelbeater and he put it in in a flash....I sort of knew there was a piece of cord involved but not really

It falls into the category of "its easy when you know how! ...

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Welcome nice paint job!