Thread: My name is Jeremy but most folks know me as Bacon.

Array
    Status
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

My name is Jeremy but most folks know me as Bacon.

Hello All,

I bought my first little truck on the 1st of April. It is a 1989 Dodge Ram 50 (Custom) 2.0L it has a little more than 174k on it and it is in need of some love. It does run but power is slim to say the least. I'm working on re engineering the secondary air supply pipe assembly as the original is busted and was j-b welded but has completely broke as seen in the pic. I'm going to make one out of some "hard" copper piping because it's the only thing I can find with the correct O.D. I've done some reading on here and know that weber is the best course of action but the funds aren't there for it currently but hope one day in the near future. I've got 2k in it and first thing after I get the pipe in it is a trip to the shop for new seals and gaskets as it has some oil leaking but not horribly bad but I'd rather fix it before it ends up ruining it. Belts will be taken care of while at the shop as well. Thanks for having me on here and a huge thanks for the vast amount info I've already acquired and the stuff I haven't.
    -Bacon aka Jeremy

1.jpg9.jpg8.jpg7.jpg6.jpg5.jpg4.jpg3.jpg
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (58.9 KB, 210 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (93.8 KB, 201 views)
    Last edited by camoit; 04-12-2014 at 06:18 PM.

Array
    Status
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    lol can't edit my post but the Title should read My name is Jeremy but most folks know me as Bacon.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Spiffy little truck, and in good condition, Jeremy.

Welcome to the forum. Did you do all the modifications yourself? The ferring (sp?) looks good: I've never seen a D-50 with it before.

It looks like a very comfortable ride. Enjoy!

Array
    Status
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by royster View Post
    Spiffy little truck, and in good condition, Jeremy.

Welcome to the forum. Did you do all the modifications yourself? The ferring (sp?) looks good: I've never seen a D-50 with it before.

It looks like a very comfortable ride. Enjoy!
    It was like that when I bought it. I haven't done anything to it yet other than pull the busted sec. pipe off and call everywhere within about 200miles trying to find one to replace it with no luck a bunch of laughs and good luck with that and few chuckles and being hung up on. I did find out there is a D-50 with no motor or trans at a junk/salvage yard about 5 miles down the road. Looked on craigslist and there is a guy selling parts to a D-50 84-91 local but I have a feeling its the guy I bought this one from as I've yet to hear back from him and the guy I bought it from changed his number but hell as they say you live and you learn... that a karma is a mean sob. I have found a 2.4l head for a 4g64 local and a 89-94 auto trans semi local on craigslist though. Trans asking ain't but 250 obo almost want to buy just to have an extra you know just in case.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    Have you tried car-part.com?
    1990 MM 4x4 3.0
    1991 MM 4x4 3.0 Diamonte
    1994 MM 2wd (work in progress)

Array
    Status
    CR, IA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Hey whats up man i'm new here also, so glad to see the MM/D50 people keep piling in.

Array
    Status
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by lush90 View Post
    Have you tried car-part.com?
    I have with no luck but I don't have emissions in this part of GA. I'm just going to have a pair of plugs made at a local bolt/nut company in a few days when they are open and I can stop by there.

Array
    Status
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeb View Post
    Hey whats up man i'm new here also, so glad to see the MM/D50 people keep piling in.
    Thanks all is well and this place is awesome.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I got one or maybe 3 or 4 of them pipes. Anyway your truck looks real nice with the aero kit and I'm sure your enjoying it. I see the airhorns which I have the same on mine. I love to hit them when someone falls asleep at a traffic light and I need to wake them up. You also have power steering too, another nice feature to have. Well, consider yourself bitten by the bug and will probably never get rid of the truck. They have the tendency to do this to you. Keep the oil changed is what I found to be the most important thing to making them last. Yours with 170K is just getting broken in. Mine had 275k at rebuild, but there are some here that have many more miles on their trucks.

As for the pipe, I could check and see if I do have it. If you decide you need it, I think a small donation to forum would take care of the pipe cost and give you a donator label to your listing as well.
    donated.gif

Array
    Status
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    I got one or maybe 3 or 4 of them pipes. Anyway your truck looks real nice with the aero kit and I'm sure your enjoying it. I see the airhorns which I have the same on mine. I love to hit them when someone falls asleep at a traffic light and I need to wake them up. You also have power steering too, another nice feature to have. Well, consider yourself bitten by the bug and will probably never get rid of the truck. They have the tendency to do this to you. Keep the oil changed is what I found to be the most important thing to making them last. Yours with 170K is just getting broken in. Mine had 275k at rebuild, but there are some here that have many more miles on their trucks.

As for the pipe, I could check and see if I do have it. If you decide you need it, I think a small donation to forum would take care of the pipe cost and give you a donator label to your listing as well.
    donated.gif
    Hey Brad it "has" power steering but it having new lines on it I'm guessing they need to be bled. The look is growing on me although the first time I take it to the fishing hole I fear the ground effects might meet their end. lol The air horns are definitely a wake up call. I'll pm you on the pipe thanks for the heads up.

Array
    Status
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Oh I forgot while the truck is in the shop for new seals and gaskets I'll also have new inner and outer tie rod ends put on it. Figure that and new belts through and through might as well give it a solid restart as the p o seemed like he was talking out of his rear end. lol Thanks again folks.

Bacon/ Jeremy

Array
    Status
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Brad this is the pipe I'm needing.

2.jpg

It screws in to the bottom of the manifold and screws into the Termostat valve( not sure if that's the right name)

1.jpg

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon86 View Post
    Brad this is the pipe I'm needing.
    2.jpg
    It screws in to the bottom of the manifold and screws into the Termostat valve( not sure if that's the right name)
    1.jpg
    Oh man are you lucky today. I took another look at the pipe I showed you and found a hairline crack in the pipe tube and its for an 86, little different from your images.
    Then I remembered, I thought I saved one from a doner truck I had a while back, which was a 87 mits might max. I started searching and located it and it is much closer shaped to yours and in perfect shape, other then the '86 version I showed you. I will get this shipped ASAP today.

Part.jpg
    click image to expand

This 87 one might be a little tiny bit different from your original with slight different piping from truck to truck, but the threading is the same and will land in generally the same area. A slight bend in mounting hardware may be needed to mount it after it is screwed into exhaust manifold.

Array
    Status
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Man that is awesome Brad I greatly appreciate it. You my friend have been a life saver.