Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Some Maintenance and Information

Hey Guys!

I haven't been around much lately but I'm planning on starting a new round of maintenance and upgrades and figured I would post about it to get some advice and not mess anything up lol.

Anyway, you can see my truck here: http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...php/3106-Hello!

It's a 1988 Mighty Max Macro Cab. I think it's the 2.6 but I'm not sure yet.

One thing I want to do is change the tranny fluid. I've never done this in a manual before. How much fluid will I need to refill it?

I've also got a vibration at around 70-75mph. I just got new tires mounted and balanced, but I still get a vibration. What else should I look at?

Thanks guys!

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Vibration is likely universal joints and possibly transmission mount.

Not sure about your transmission, but my 2.4 - 5-speed required about 2 quarts. The manual should have that info under the specs section.

Good to see you again, Tiny.

I filled my transmission fluid from the shifter, because at the time, it was removed. Leaving the fill plug out, I waited until it overflowed. I later replaced the shifter. Otherwise, you need a small hand-pump to get the gear oil up there. Whatta pain, but oh-so-worth-it. Might as well get another couple quarts and treat your differential, too.

And remember: donuts make ANY occassion that much better. Donuts: they're not just for all the time, anymore.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Thanks Roy.

I'm surprised it's so little, for some reason I was thinking it was 6-8 quarts.

The differential uses ATF also? I always thought it was something more like engine oil.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Whuh-hoah: do you have an automatic? I assumed it was a manual shift. Can't help you on capacity for automatic, but the differential uses gear oil...not motor oil at all. 75-95wt is recommended by the specs, as I recall. I used Lucas gear oil, and again, it's at least 2 quarts...it's been a while.

But the differential is real impotant to service, as they tend to be neglected. Likely it has the original gear oil...yuck...and it's good preventative-maintenance to change that stuff.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    It is a manual.

I've never done a manual change before, I wasn't thinking that ATF probably isn't right for a manual.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Does the differential need a new gasket or do I just make one with the gaskget maker stuff?

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    No gasket needed: both transmission and differential have drain plugs, just like the engine does. The transmission has a fill plug higher up (I think it's square) and the differential has one visible from behind (fill), the drain plug is on the bottom. And unless another forum expert disputes me, both want 75-95wt gear oil.

(My F-150 takes automatic trans fluid...it was the first time I'd ever seen that in a manual shift transmission. And those need to have ATF put back in if you drain them, or it can block passages).

Likely 5 quarts will get you to where you need to be.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Awesome, really appreciate the info!

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Ok guys, I got all the materials together and I looked at it last night.

I can easily see the drain bolt in the center of the tranny, but I'm not sure where the filler is.

Anyone have a diagram or pictures? I don't want to pull the wrong part.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    manual trans oil type and capacity SAE 80-90W GL-5 Gear Lube / 2.6 Quarts

Differential 80-90W GL-5 Gear Lube / 2.75 Quarts

Transmission Fill plug is on the Drivers side about in the middle of the body. best way is to drain the fluid, then remove the gear shifter (3 bolts) and measure and fill from there.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    The filler plug is like Mike said on the side. If you like sitting under the truck pumping thick oil into trany, you could fill through the trany fill plug bolt. It's full when it begins to leak back out the fill hole as your putting it in. Same thing with rear end, It's full when it begins to leak back out at you through the fill hole.
    trany1.jpg
    click image for larger view

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Thanks Brad, exactly what I needed.

I already bough the pump so I'm just going to fill it through the filler instead of pulling the shifter. I'll let you guys know how it goes!