Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

1989 Mighty Max engine rebuild

This is in response to my member introduction thread. Someone had said to post my current photos so you guys can see where the progress began. Just a little note: i am doing a rebuild on the engine in this beast, along with some minor improvements on the front end bumper, grill, and lights. the first photo was taken before my work started back on november 29th of 2013. then the following shots are all from yesterday:
    20131129_140633.jpg20140402_173337.jpg20140402_173351.jpg20140402_173412.jpg20140402_173418.jpg20140402_173437.jpg20140402_173445.jpg20140402_173452.jpg20140402_173504.jpg

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Oh boy! A Garage Cat: what's it's name?

Seems strange to be SO familiar with the mess and stripped-down front ends, and in such a short period of time. That's a 2.0, yes?

Great to have such "before" pictures, because they show exactly how much work (and the quality OF it) when the "after" pictures come along.

Those tire dollies are cool, never saw those before.

Who's brain is that in the zip-lock bag on the driver's seat? I know from personal experience those zip-lock bags do NOT keep the brain-freshness in: I've had my brain in Tupperware, zip-locks and once in a non-lubricated condom, and it always dried out.

It is obvious this project requires donuts. Are you eating 112mm chocolate iced or crumb-sprinkled? It must be milimeters, remember: SAE donuts won't fit properly, and do not have the same donutocity as mm.

(There is an icon on your screen to delete humorous remarks: feel free to use it if these comments are distractive).

Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I didn't even realize the cat was in the pictures, its name is Garfunkel. That is a 2.0. and the tire dollies make moving the non-running vehicle easy as pie when you have a cement garage floor, i can move the thing by myself. As far as the humor goes, it makes my repairs seem more worth it?

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I HAVE to assume there is another cat named "Simon" swishing around.

When we lose our sense of humor, life becomes too serious and the balance gets lost, so I'm glad to hear your positive reply.

This website is very wonderful for those of us conducting repairs, because, in a cyber way, we're not alone, and have a circle of reliable friends we can resource when we're in the unknown-zone. Likely no one in our real-time world cares about our project, so we have a forum with an appreciative audience to share our acheivements.

The down-side is it can be a very bad enabler for just conducting endless modifications and enourmous non-stop spending. My choice is to keep the little truck running happy, and giving it some decent looks as time goes by.

Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Sounds great actually, and your absolutely right on the whole real-time world lack of care issue. Yeah, but is that a problem with the whole spending versus happy truck? I mean they have feelings too right?!?

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by asmyser View Post
    is that a problem with the whole spending versus happy truck? I mean they have feelings too right?!?
    Deep question, and there are as many answers as there are truck enthusiasts: the personal values range broadly.

My view is that the truck needs to be running, first and foremost, before trying modifications...yet there are those who put every dime they have into do-dads and what Pep Boys defines as "custom"...
    wasted.jpg

...and there's a whole industry of worthless crap you can "customise" you truck/cars with.

"If you can't make it run good, make it look pretty."

Making the truck happy is: listening to it. It's the person's ego that costs so much in parts: the truck is happy with its timing being right, the oil level satisfactory, and occassionally be acknowledged as a faithful servant (and friend).

I don't push my spiritual~metaphysics views on this forum (I have my own website for that), but one I can share is about my F-150.

It had been a show-truck, and the previous owner never so much as put a stick of wood in the bed. In the early days of getting to know the truck, it conveyed that it wanted to be what it was built for: a work horse. And I let it be what it wanted to be.

It still has its basic good looks, but also has the pride of rolling over the concrete bridge it helped construct, having hauled no fewer than 500 bags of concrete over time to construct that bridge. At night, it sits amidst the structures and landscaping it hauled materials for. It has seldom complained or failed in the 7 years I've had it. On a spiritual note, I actually thank it every time I park it and turn off the key. Its clear coat is peeling, rust is coming through the fenders, and it is often the last machine around here to get attention.

But I listen to it, and let it be what it is.

scan0005.jpg

Something I noticed in our society is that the "heart-throbs" might have good looks, but they never DO anything. In my old age, I've come to appreciate those who pitch in and do their share, rather than coasting on appearance, that...inevitably...one day disappears. And if they've done nothing, then on that day, their personal currency is worthless.

Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    well the goal with this truck is to have a backup ride for when my main ride fails, and a nice ride to drive around on nice days. So the looking good is a plus, but the running good is a must and first priority.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    That is a GREAT looking little truck. I've never seen fender wells done that way, but it's tasteful and cool.

Having sane priorities is a survival technique in this world, today. When the cart goes before the horse, you're not getting your apples to market.

It isn't for me to say what people do with and to these trucks. But I see a lot of ill-placed priorities all the time, everywhere I go. And it seems that everybody forgets one small detail: without gasoline, these trucks aren't going anywhere, no matter what engine was stuffed into them with a shoe horn.

Having survived the "gas crisis" of 1979, I know the market is vulnerable and manipulated. It doesn take much to squeeze the American Balls and bring the world to a grinding halt. The automobile is a privelage, and a dubious one at that. When things collapse to the point of survival, we have no choice but to see what we felt were priorities.

Enough of my rant: this is your build thread, and I can delete anything I posted if you want. I simply feel it important to offer honest warnings in general: things won't be staying the same. That's just facing reality. (The flip side is: Nero played fiddle as Rome burned).

Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Well i'm hoping that the truck which got somewhere in the mid 30s for mpg, that since gas prices will probably continue to go up in a ridiculous fashion that thi smay help relieve some stress in the future. As far as the fender wells go, i took the fenders from my old parts truck, and the previous fender "guards" or whatever they were didn't fit right, so my painter (a farmall and john deere tractor painter and detailer) suggested painting them on, It came out alright, and unless your looking for them, 75% of people don't notice anything anyway.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    You're certainly not putting on any 'airs': your photos reveal a very down-to-earth guy, comfortable in his own skin.

The mousetrap I just noticed. I got a warm laugh from it for many right reasons...not the least of which is the cat in another photo. Maybe it's that I relate to it so much: my garage is rife with mousetraps, because the cats keep catching the mice, playing with them and then letting them escape.

20140402_173337.jpg

My cats are "shape-shifters", too. If you weren't looking closely, you wouldn't see Garfunkle in this photo.
    20140402_173437.jpg

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Ya those dollies look helpful. MY problem with them is my driveway. They would find every crack and get stuck in it or I would walk away and the truck would roll down the driveway.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63
    That would be my problem with them, is rolling away, down the driveway.

That being said, I still would like to have mine on them.

Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    oh, my driveway is dirty and rock, so i wouldn't be able to push it into the driveway, just keep them on the garage floor and all is good. They are very helpful though. in that two car garage with the truck on dollies i can fit three vehicles in it, when the truck isn't torn into a million pieces...

Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Since i got the entire engine apart, i think i'm going to replace the clutch and such now, i have to get the flywheel turned down anyway. Are there any suggestions for the type of which clutch i should get?

Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I don't know if i've revealed this fact yet, but i have two full engines, both with faulty parts, and i'm building one correct engine out of both of them, with some hopeful spare parts to keep around. I've attached multiple images of both engines, which are both the same. one with the balance shafts, and one without. I've also attached images of what prompted the engine rebuild to begin with.(oops) the last shows the oil pan with the shavings of the oops.
    20131207_124926.jpg20131207_124933.jpg20131207_125002.jpg20131207_125024.jpg20131207_154723.jpg20131207_154813.jpg20140322_125324.jpg20140322_125344.jpg20140322_125351.jpg

Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    more photos, since i've been waiting on my engine machine work to be completed, i've been working on my bumper:
    20140405_143209.jpg20140405_143220.jpg20140405_143231.jpg20140405_143349.jpg20140405_144248.jpg

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    So you managed to get the dent out?

I couldn't SEE, it's so bright i can't look at it without sunglasses

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63
    That bumper looks really good man.......I like it.

Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Nah. I didnt like the way it looks. It was in rough shape. The end pieces are still mostly good though. I just got a full replacement. And the bumper lights i liked alot so i got a set.

Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Ok, so i looked on rock auto and i see they have 5 different options for the clutch kit, what do i have to look out for in the options? does it really matter which one i get? i assume that th eones listed should all work with my vehicle, maybe someone here can straighten me out?

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    No one here can straighten you out, asmyser: you're corrupted and unrepentant.

Just like the rest of us.

You want the kit to have the throw-out bearing and the plate alignment tool, plus the flywheel pilot bearing. When going for parts, I always try to aim in the middle price range.

When it comes to donuts, I always choose freshness. Donutocity is crucial, and nothing is kruller than stale donuts with donutitosis setting in: this is the condition that causes Elvis to appear in the wrinkling icing. Sure: it can get you $10,000 for the photograph, but while you're enjoying fame, your donuts are getting stale.

Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    thinking about this one: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...137&cc=1206784
    but i'm not sure..

Array
    Status
    Auberry, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Don't cheap out on the clutch. Not saying you are, just speaking from experience. I bought one that wouldn't even hold enough to do a first gear chirp. With 108 hp, when they are all there, that's pretty bad. Yesterday I pulled the tranny because of a rattle to find a separated throw out bearing. Buy somewhere from middle to top of the range.

Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by d50dave View Post
    Don't cheap out on the clutch. Not saying you are, just speaking from experience. I bought one that wouldn't even hold enough to do a first gear chirp. With 108 hp, when they are all there, that's pretty bad. Yesterday I pulled the tranny because of a rattle to find a separated throw out bearing. Buy somewhere from middle to top of the range.
    I plan on buying an Exedy one, My machinist's clutch guy suggested that one for my truck.
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...358&cc=1206784

Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    so the list of parts needing acquisition keeps growing, now i need the following before i can start the full rebuild:
    1. My engine back from the machinist (very important)
    2. Clutch Kit
    3. Motor Mounts
    4. New Grille and Emblem
    5. Various bolt replacements (because the originals just had to be so rusted that they broke in half at the sight of me and my ridiculous knack for breaking them in half)

in other news, i took some of the bumper mounts off of the new shiny bumper and painted them up a bit.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast