Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T

1st gen to 2nd gen brake swap

So my frame is being powder coated and I ordered new lower control arms from Mitsubishi. I remember the brakes are different on a 2nd gen. Has anybody swapped to 2nd gen brakes on a 2wd 1st gen? Any benefit? This involves Knuckles , splash shield rotor and calipers. My left knuckle is junk and they are no longer available new. I certainly do not want a knuckle that's been in the bottom of the Atlantic ocean for 100 years. So since new ones are available for a 2nd gen from mitsu i was considering that. Or should I just stick with the original set up?

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Shame I have a 1987 2WD D50 with a good front end on it I don't need, I took the body off of it and the rear end but the frame and front end are still on it in great shape most likely will get scrapped! I se your a long way from SD.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    I believe its been done or at least talked about a bunch. Yes you need the 2nd gen spindle, dust shields and calipers. I think it is a slight upgrade from what I have read.

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    I would be interested in your spindles and dust shields if they are not all bent. Doing a ground up truck and need good parts. I was going to buy new dust shields as they are still available from Mitsubishi. The upper control arms are being powder coated........

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    This is a SD truck we don't use salt here so they should all be fine, this was not a damaged vehicle at all, it had a blown head gasket when I got it for the body. It has a good A/T also but I need 4X4 stuff for my use, turned out I had to modify the center hump to fit the 5 speed into the narrow hump!

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    I needed them caliper backing plates for my 88 D50 4X4 and could not find them anyplace if you come across a set of the ones for 15" wheels let me know!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I have looked at that swap - you need the rotors to match from the 2nd gen also as they have a different offset than the 1st gen and are slotted not solid. Brackets and hard lines are different also. there was a listing on ebay for hawk performance brake pads for the 2nd gen calipers for 9.00 awhile back - they may still be available.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Wazoo, IN
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B-T
    Wow, never would have imagined that a 2gen would be an upgrade.
    I'm looking to upgrade my brakes. My 92s are so puny. Makes me nervous.

Any threads to upgrades,like twin piston? Or the like?
    I'm gonna do some searchin.

Bryen

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    there are threads on here to upgrade using 2nd gen montero twin piston calipers, or 300gt vr4 4 piston calipers - see merrill's threads on the swap he is working on.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Wazoo, IN
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B-T
    Thanx,I did see the montero deal,,,I think it only applies to a 4x4.
    Ill check out his thread as I have a spare set of vr4 calipers on the shelf.

Bryen

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Any pics of the completed swap from a member here? My L200's solid rotors look like they've done their job and I'm considering doing a full swap to newer assemblies (I'd rather spend the cash on some good second hand assemblies rather than pour cash into machining and fitting new pads...)

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I did some 'field research' and here are my definitive findings. 2WD Gen 2 steering hub assemblies will interchange with 2WD Gen 1's with no modifications. Both steering hubs are 215mm in height from ball joint to ball joint and 135mm from the centre of the lower ball joint to the centre of the outer tie rod. Both steering hubs have the same angle and offset for the location of the end of the steering arm where the outer tie rod connects. They use the same diameter ball joint shafts as each other. The differences between the 2 are the rotor off sets and the brake caliper mounting bolt hole locations. By using the entire steering hub and rotor assembly from a Gen 2 you can eliminate the need for messing with changing rotors and adding spacers/modifying the steering hubs for a Gen 1 application.

Although the brake calipers can be 'swapped' between Gen 1 & 2, the relation between the mounting bolt holes has changed (both G1/G2 bolt hole centres are 125mm apart). Gen 1 caliper bolts are more parallel to the centre line through the ball joints while the Gen 2 upper bolt hole is closer to that centre line, while the bottom bolt hole is further out towards the end of the steering arm. Swapping all the related brake upgrade hardware onto Gen 1 steering hubs will result with the caliper fouling the end of the steering arm. Using Gen 2 steering hubs relocates the caliper upwards, allowing a single or twin piston caliper to be mounted without fouling issues.

Array
    Status
    South Florida
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Hi Can anyone tell me what size the rotor bolts are on an 87 mighty max ?

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquest232 View Post
    Wow, never would have imagined that a 2gen would be an upgrade.
    I'm looking to upgrade my brakes. My 92s are so puny. Makes me nervous.

Any threads to upgrades,like twin piston? Or the like?
    I'm gonna do some searchin.

Bryen
    Yep I pull a small trailer with my 88 and it’s pretty slow to stop it at an intersection.