Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D56-T

7.25 front differential gears

I want to change my differential gears from 3.90 to 3.55 on my 1983 Mitsubishi Pickup. I want to lower the RPM's at cruising speed on the interstate to maximize my mpg and driving comfort. I can easily obtain the 3.55 gears for the 8" rear end from a 2wd Mitsubishi Pickup but I'm wondering if the 3.545 gears from a Starion will fit in the front of a 7.25" diff on a 1983 Mitsubishi Pickup?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    you can swap the whole diff with gears from a starion into the front diff on your 83 truck
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    you can swap the whole diff with gears from a starion into the front diff on your 83 truck
    That's what I hear. It looks like my plan is a go. I have already located the Starion gears for the front. Now I just need some 3.54 gears for the rear from a 2wd Mitsubishi Pickup. This should really help lower my RPM's.

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Spencer you are starting to Jerry rig my truck . Are you going the route of Kerby ? Or Eric ????? It will not have the same performance.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    oh man - nightmares from the past. I would have to agree with Mike on this one - in fact it would make more sense to put in the 4.22s for even better performance with bigger tires.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewarme View Post
    Spencer you are starting to Jerry rig my truck . Are you going the route of Kerby ? Or Eric ????? It will not have the same performance.
    There are some concerns I will need to cut the radiator support to remove the front 3rd member. I don't know, maybe it will be easiest to just cut front cross member out because it is a pain to unbolt it.

I hope I have my head on straight and that's why I am asking around. Here's the data Mike. What do you think?

The performance should not be affected much. From putting a few thousand miles on the truck it is obvious it is much happier at 2400rpms than 2600rpms. I want to decrease the tire size so I can lower the torsion bars as well. It will also look much better with the original tires and wheels. Currently the torsion bars are cranked all the way up to avoid rubbing issues with the oversized tires. I really do think it is the best solution to the problem. The truck is making 200 ft lbs torque. Originally it only made 125 ft lbs or torque so I am not worried about performance.

Current Setup

Tire Diameter(inches) 28.4" 225/70r16 Michilin, These tires rub due to the backspacing. They are also on 16" aftermarket wheels.
    Gear Ratio 3.909
    Miles Per Hour 65mph
    RPM @ 65 MPH-In Drive 3006rpm
    RPM @ 65 MPH-In Overdrive 2600rpm

Purposed Setup

Tire Diameter(inches) 27.7" 215/75r15 BFG AT, This is the original tire and tire size and they will be mounted on the original wheels
    Gear Ratio 3.54
    Miles Per Hour 65mph
    RPM @ 65 MPH-In Drive 2794rpm
    RPM @ 65 MPH-In Overdrive 2414rpm
    Last edited by 4D55 Performance; 03-31-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    oh man - nightmares from the past. I would have to agree with Mike on this one - in fact it would make more sense to put in the 4.22s for even better performance with bigger tires.

I am definitely staying away from bigger tires. I actually want to go with smaller tires but ultimately it is the backspacing of the wheels that is causing my rubbing issues. I want to return it back to stock tires and wheels. The truck is very drive-able but with all the power of the new engine I think it is the right thing to do.

This engine is a lot different than the original 4d55. The 4d55 made max torque at 2900rpm from my dyno experience. The D4BF/4d56 makes max at 2000rpm which is a huge difference. These 2 engines have a very different power band and the higher gearing would help put this engine more in it's sweet spot.

If I went with the 4.22 gears the truck would not be driveable in my opinion. It would be down right miserable.
    Last edited by 4D55 Performance; 04-01-2014 at 03:45 PM.