Array
    Status
    Geiger, AL
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

overheating issues

if i drive it 20 min to work it will cool fine but when i come home in the evening it will get hot. I'm thinking the temperature differences play a small role in the problem. I've put a new water pump and removed my thermostat. I need some suggestions on what to try next

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    put your thermostat back in! check your radiator cap and make sure it is in good working order. a bad radiator cap can cause all kinds of overheating issues. are you using the proper coolant/water mixture? also, you might want to add an extra radiator mounted cooling fan to help out. better yet, get rid of the existing engine mounted cooling fan altogether and put two 10 inch radiator mounted fans on. it'll free up a couple pony's and regulate your engines temp better.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    the radiator is plugged. Also put on a fan shroud from a Montero. That will make the largest difference. OH and replace the fan clutch it could have broke. There like 20 bucks from rock auto. There radiators are a good price.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Oh wow: another Pearls Before Swine fan...that sets well in my book!

Take the time to remove the radiator and back-flush it (upside down) so all the years of crap can stop blocking cooling veins. Also spray from the engine side of the radiator out to the front, to blow out bugs and stuff from the front of the radiator. The dust impacted in the radiator fins is amazingly insulative. Incert Jimmy Hoffa joke [HERE].

By all means, put your thermostat back in: the coolant temperature sending unit needs to know when the engine's warmed up...which it will never do without a thermostat. Otherwise, your choke will stay on always, and cause other problems. Better yet, replace the thermostat with a new one. With the flushing and thermostat, you should be half way to fixed. Then see what the fan situation is.

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Is it blowing back in radiator?
    Its the head gasket, guaranteed.

Array
    Status
    Alaska
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    When (if) you change your head gasket, check your head for cracks. Mine had 3 separate cracks. Does your oil have a white tint to it?

Array
    Status
    Geiger, AL
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Sorry for letting u guys hang but i got it cooling with a new radiator and thermostat. Thanks for all the help!