Array
    Status
    MA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Horn issues

I need to get my truck inspected next month but the horn stopped working. Replaced horn with new unit and replaced fuse (wasn't blown but did so for troubleshooting). Neither fixed the issue so assuming horn relay or horn switch. I bought a new relay but don't know where it is on the truck to replace (if you know, please share) or how to remove the center of the steering wheel where horn button is. I tried prying it with decent pressure and it didn't budge so I stopped before I possibly broke something. Do I just pry harder or am I missing something. Thanks in advance!

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    No, much as it seems that soft center horn pad should pry off, it is held on with phillips screws. I know this from experience, in which I tried to pry it off. You'll find them by looking behind the steering wheel, use a mirror if you have to.

You'll also find under that cap - the ring which grounds for the horn, and it is my suspicion that this is your real problem: that contact gets gunked up and contact becomes more difficult. You'll see a copper arm which floats above this ring-contact. Bet you find Jimmy Hoffa in there.