Array
    Status
    north carolina
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

weber using excessive fuel.

ok guys, i just installed a weber dfev 32/36 on my 1988 mighty max 2.0. upon installation i installed a electric fuel pump putting out 3.5 psi at about 40gph at the carb with no regulator. i went through all the tuning procedures in the installation papers that came with the carb. i also put a new set of plugs in during installation. i got it running great no stumble or hesitation pulls great through all gears. i drove the truck about 100 miles to school and back and check the plugs. the plugs had a light tan color to the, by my experience they looked just as they should! well after a tank of gas and 190 miles later i seen i was only getting 14 mpg so i checked the plugs again and they are white like its running lean. i checked for vacuum leaks around the carb base and plugged connections with no leaks detected. i have yet to check the timing again but could someone give me some pointers on where to start with this issue? how could it be using so much fuel yet running lean?

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 88maxine View Post
    ok guys, i just installed a weber dfev 32/36 on my 1988 mighty max 2.0. upon installation i installed a electric fuel pump putting out 3.5 psi at about 40gph at the carb with no regulator. i went through all the tuning procedures in the installation papers that came with the carb. i also put a new set of plugs in during installation. i got it running great no stumble or hesitation pulls great through all gears. i drove the truck about 100 miles to school and back and check the plugs. the plugs had a light tan color to the, by my experience they looked just as they should! well after a tank of gas and 190 miles later i seen i was only getting 14 mpg so i checked the plugs again and they are white like its running lean. i checked for vacuum leaks around the carb base and plugged connections with no leaks detected. i have yet to check the timing again but could someone give me some pointers on where to start with this issue? how could it be using so much fuel yet running lean?
    If you installed a DFEV you installed a carburetor for a VW. You need a DGEV. That is the correct application.

http://http://www.webercarbsdirect.c...ct_p/wk297.htm

Array
    Status
    north carolina
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    per redline and weber carbs direct my truck uses a DFEV 32/36! either way everything works exactly as it should with no modifications so i dont see why it would matter?

Array
    Status
    north carolina
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    nvm i see on redline footnotes that it is recommended dgev for manual transmissions. and dfev for automatic transmissions.

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 88maxine View Post
    per redline and weber carbs direct my truck uses a DFEV 32/36! either way everything works exactly as it should with no modifications so i dont see why it would matter?
    It matters because WeberDirect will sell you any carb with a Weber name on it to make a few bucks- it matters not to them that your truck sucks gas and runs like shit. What do they care? They got their money. And you have to mess with it. They don't have to.

BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    if that is a weber direct carb, that is your problem - it is a fake weber knockoff. If it is a shiny carb and it does not say made in spain - its a knockoff and will never work right. Same goes for EMPI carbs - same chinese junk.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Salem Oregon
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4G63-T
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    if that is a weber direct carb, that is your problem - it is a fake weber knockoff. If it is a shiny carb and it does not say made in spain - its a knockoff and will never work right. Same goes for EMPI carbs - same chinese junk.
    Where should the "Made in Spain" stamp be located on these carbs? I looked for it but didn't see it. Hope I just missed it. Thing has a vacuum leak around the throttle shaft. I sprayed carb cleaner at the shaft while it was idling and the engine almost died. It runs pretty decently other than no power but diesels most of the time when I shut it off.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    In my opinion, if your truck is dieseling at all, it's not running decently.

Fake Webers have shiny casting and a black choke mechanism and nothing except for a cheesy Weber sticker.
    Real Webers have a dull casting and a white choke mechanism and a raised logo on the carb body.

genuine weber.jpg
    fake weber.jpg

Order from Pierce Manifolds, they're reputable.

I got burned, too.

I ran my truck on a dyno with a 5 gas analyzer and the Chinese Weber -- pig rich!

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    In my opinion, if your truck is dieseling at all, it's not running decently.

Fake Webers have shiny casting and a black choke mechanism and nothing except for a cheesy Weber sticker.
    Real Webers have a dull casting and a white choke mechanism and a raised logo on the carb body.

genuine weber.jpg
    fake weber.jpg

Order from Pierce Manifolds, they're reputable.

I got burned, too.

I ran my truck on a dyno with a 5 gas analyzer and the Chinese Weber -- pig rich!
    In the 2nd Gen Electric fuel pump install thread which is in the "Tuning and Smog" section there are photos I took of my own install- and also photos of a fake Weber and real Weber side by side. IF YOU CANNOT FIND THE MADE IN SPAIN OR "PRODUCT OF SPAIN" along with the Weber logo IN THE CASTING YOU HAVE A FAKE.

REAL WEBERS CAN HAVE either A WHITE OR BLACK CHOKE MECHANISM- I know this for a fact because I have 2 genuine DGEVs- one with black choke and one with a white choke.

LOOK FOR THE PRODUCT OF SPAIN OR THE WEBER LOGO CAST INTO THE CARB BODY. A GENUINE WILL HAVE BOTH JUST AS PLAIN AS THE NOSE ON YOUR FACE.

Sorry for shouting but there is no wonder people are confused- misinformation is passed along routinely.

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ight=fuel+pump

You can see a genuine DGEV (the one on the right in the photos I took) with a black choke. The other one I have is on the truck and it has a WHITE choke.

AND FOR THE LAST TIME QUIT DOING BUSINESS WITH WEBER DIRECT IN HAUPPAGE NY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Redline Weber or Pierce Manifolds in Cali are both reputable and priced fairly.

Sorry for the rant.