Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Gauge issues after Tach install

So i installed an equus tachometer yesterday and now my speedometer reads 25 mph low and my revs are also read low (it idles around 'zero' RPMs) I took the tach off and my speedometer still was off. I have tried wiring the thing in every way that the instructions say will work except for splicing directly into a distributor wire.

Array
    Status
    Durham, NC
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Ive got a sunpro tachometer in my truck.(mines a 94) And I put the signal wire on the wrong side of the coil and it gave me litle to no reading. Put it on the right side and it works like its soposta now. Cant really help on the spedo. Its cable driven, Did you take the cluster out and kink somthing maby?

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I have not touched anything behind the cluster. I sort of "fixed" the speedometer by adjusting the needle since i haven't messed with the cable's calibration and I'll see how accurate it is but the tach is out for the time being because I ended up destroying mine trying to get inside of it. So when I get a new tach I will try switching the side of the coil (I had it on negative)

Array
    Status
    Durham, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I dont remember what side mine was on.Ill look tonight and tell you for sure.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    How is that sunpro Tach? I had an Equus and even though it wasn't cheap, it was made cheap, cheapy cheap. Terrible bang for the buck. I couldn't remove anything on it so I could not set it into the dash the way I wanted. It only came with the bracket that they expect me to stick ontop of the dash and I don't like that. Would it work to use a tachometer from a random 4cylinder at a pick and pull yard?

Array
    Status
    Durham, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Mines a cheaper tach. Bought it from a guy in school for $10. Didnt come with a shift light. I think it came from advanced auto. Came with a bracket to mount to a steering colum that was rounded and a flat mount as well. And on the back it had a switch from 4,6, or 8 cyl.

Im not sure about using one from a different vehicle. I think it would be cleaer looking with either a tach cluster, I just havent taken the time to gind one for my truck.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Autometer phantom 2. Double stick taped it to the dash on the left covering the defroseter vent for the drivers window.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    No issues with it at all. Made my own power wire from the fuse box. And it's own ground under the dash. Trigger wire is the only wire that goes unde the hood, cluster was not removed. Possible your cable is binding under the truck, in the engine compartment, or behind the cluster.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    The first question that comes to mind is did you flip the switch in the back to 4 cyl?
    I forgot to set mine to 6 when I started up my truck for the first time. All tachs come set to 8 cyl from the factory.
    Next what model do you have?
    The green wire should go the - on the coil. The red needs to go to 12 Volt. Do not hook it to the + side of the coil. That is not going to be a full 12 volt. Black to ground of course and leave the white off for now. You can worry about illumination later.
    Also check the ground from the engine to the firewall.
    Last edited by camoit; 03-25-2014 at 05:17 PM.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    It is i 4 cyl mode, i tested different grounds but they all came up the same. as far as the speedo goes I just pushed the needle up, i may have just bumped it over at some point and not have noticed. I basically destroyed the tach trying to check connections but I still may be able to get it replaced. Autozone said it was still under warranty and they ordered a replacement even though they understand that I "dismantled it". I busted the front off thinking it was possible to remove without breaking anything but it was not designed to be tinkered with. We shall see what the response is at the store when I bring in my tach which is in such bad shape it is comical.

I have an 86 Power ram 50 with the 2.6 g54b. I do not know if part of the issue is that the wiring harness has been butchered so badly that i cannot imagine ever getting it sorted out. I have decided to redo the entire dash in hardwood so I can make it how I want but that might be asking for a whole lot of gauge issues if this is what i can expect when i tinker with my electrical.
    Last edited by Mrieke; 03-25-2014 at 06:14 PM. Reason: left out detail