Thread: My new to me truck is a wiring nightmare....but it makes for fun fix ups:D

Array
    Status
    Stuarts Draft, Va.
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

My new to me truck is a wiring nightmare....but it makes for fun fix ups:D

OK, for starters, at some point the fuse box was on fire because there is evidence that a few different fuses burned and melted my block(another excuse for me to hit the scrap yard so I'm good with that) my truck has, I believe, a Grant steering wheel but the spring is messed up or something because if I put the horn fuse in its full time horn(womp womp) so this must be fixed, I never use my horn but I like right, proper, correct and functionality.

also, when I turn on my headlights, they are on low beam but my hi-beam indicator is on and switching does nothing, I'm running low beam while the truck says hi beam while my hi beams are a no go, should I just do what I normally do and pull out my wiring gear and just make my own harness and hook It back to the switch? or can one of the gurus throw their .2?(also I haven't checked the fuses again due to Sunday's fuse adventure of first time looking at me fuses, 5 were blown and there 3 independent fuse holders made from spades that go to....eh I don't know but I replaced the blown ones anyway. I'm sure more fuses blew since Sunday but again I say this trucks previous owner had no self worth, he could have at least googled some ish and made an attempt to do something half ass right.

Again, Ill try to take some pics of things though out today to post tonight.

On a side note, I'd like to install a tachometer, just a simple tach I can mount as stock as possible(ASAP lol) or did these trucks ever come with a full gauge cluster with less "dumby lights" that maybe had tach, oil pressure, voltage?

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Sure sounds like you have a short in the steering column. You might want to pull the wheel off and have a good look in there.

Yes, there is a "sport cluster" with the guages and tach, keep your eyes open for one in the yards.

An after-market tach will cost you roughly $50, easy enough to install. I have yet to hook mine up to the connectors in the engine compartment: mine runs off the coil and is line-fused per instructions that came with the tach. I'm holding out for a sport cluster, so for now, the after-market works fine.

scan0018.jpg

PM me if you can't find the fuse box in the junk yard: I have one from my 2.0 parts truck, and I'm pretty sure yours' is a 2.0. As with any really old vehicle, the harnesses can get pretty nasty with gunk. Investing $7 in a can of electrical contact cleaner might prove beneficial.

Array
    Status
    Stuarts Draft, Va.
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I almost got a can of electrical spray this morning when I went out too. and I told myself it could wait. yeah 2.0 in mine too. I must seek out this sport cluster. im all about stock upgrades and makin franken-rides.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    It's going to be a great help for you, and those on this forum you ask for help, to get that engine code off the firewall and add it to your profile settings (instead of the present "I.D.K.?") I'll guess a G63B but I'm really not that keen on the designations, yet. It makes a huge difference for those who know, though...just as I know how to respond with others who have a 4G64 (Are you SIRIUS!?).

Array
    Status
    Stuarts Draft, Va.
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    G63B, I cant figure out how to edit my profile to add that in

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Likely you don't have enough posts, yet, but the "settings" icon on your screen is where you should be able to edit that info.