Array
    Status
    Stuarts Draft, Va.
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

ghetto lowering ideas/poormans suspension ponders

Anyone ghetto lowered their ride? come out of the wood work, tons of people do this though many frown on it, its a way to achieve a goal on the cheap. obviously the main issue here is ride quality, say your not concerned with the ride quality, however cutting coils most likely means a person is to cheap to fork up on the proper shocks, so my question is has anyone chopped coils then relocated there shock mount so as to maintain stock shock geometry but with a hacked coil? I'm thinking at the moment I don't have the dime to shell out for a real drop but id like to replace my most likely original 1988 shocks, why not while doing so chop the coil for now and temporarily move the mount position so for now my truck can drop a couple inches but my shocks can maintain stock travel and since the ride beats the hell out of me now(also consider im 6'2"), new shocks on chop coil could only be at worst the same. but most likely better, and urethane bushings are somewhere near the top of my list thus ride quality will arrive soon enough!

as for the rear, again move shock mount spot and I have 2 and 3 inch blocks and multiple sets of U-bolts around here from previous Jeep projects so the rear is covered I just need to think about shock mounting and buy new stock shocks, or at the least air shocks.

Also an idea I had a few years back for my Colorado, go mono leaf in the rear and add air-ride helper bags, yes its a sorry ass way to run bags but deflate and you'll at least set frame on axel, looks appealing across a Walmart parking lot and just pump up and go.

Another idea for the front, anyone seen those mini coil-overs on ebay made as helpers for rears to maintain heavier loads? remove front coils, delete shocks and mount those in place of the shocks?(this idea just hit me on the spot so no thought behind this theory just winged it)

whats ya'lls ideas? post me some chop coil pics and explain what has differed from stock to how it rides today.

Thanks, J.

Array
    Status
    blackwood, nj
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    if your going to cut the springs and get new shocks then you might as well get the drop shocks. i ran toxic shocks on cut coils and it isnt that bad, as long as you dont cut too many coils. the shocks are around $30-40 a peice. as for the rear i had a monoleaf w/ the helper spring and 4" blocks and really didnt need a c-notch. so to lay the frame on the axle your gonna need some tall blocks and that can get scary. i personally wouldnt do more than 4".

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Its a truck...... how nice of a ride do you expect?

The position of the shocks on the rear does not change at all when you throw the blocks in. Only the axle position changes.

Cut one coil off the front and remove the bump stops. You will want new shocks. There is no point in spending a bunch of time remounting blown shocks since it really womt achieve anything. I found a set of cheap front Gabriel's on eBay (new old stock) for 30 bucks.

I'm dropped with a 3 inch block in the rear, and 1 1/4 coils cut up front. It rides exactly the same - just like a truck.

Array
    Status
    Beaufort, SC
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    About how much did the 1 1/4 coil cut drop the front? Pictures?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    blocks on the rear, and only cut off one coil on the front. Any more your going to regret it.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I cant post from my phone, but have a look at my build thread.

Array
    Status
    Stuarts Draft, Va.
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    drop shocks are that cheap? damn, I gotta start shoppin around.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    for the front, get longer bolts and use spacers to move the bottom mount down to retain the stock shock travel length. Have been running Geronimo like that for over 25 years with no issues with shocks from bottoming them out.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980