Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1979 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

G54B

Question Wheel (size) Help !

Ok, so I just finished the suspension on my 1st Gen Arrow Truck.
    And it sits great ! The Stance is Very close to Perfect.
    (build thread coming soon !)

But as Pennyman warned me, even though I thought I could overcome it
    with some crafty crafting, the stock wheels Will Not Work. :o(
    So I need to step up.
    (and these 6 lugs are Killing me for wheel choices) Ugh.

My Question is this :::
    With Lowered Coils and Spindles on the Front, What is the Biggest and Widest OEM wheel I can fit in there ???
    (at this point I'd like to stick with a used OEM Wheel, maybe something funky from the 90's, and paint it up the stock orange color.)
    But anyway ,,, be thinking OEM Wheel. GM, Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu, etc ,,,

I have been thinking about a GM Spare Steel wheel of 17X7" or the Very Similar Nissan Titan Steelies that are 17X7.5".
    So is the 7.5" going to be an issue ??? Is that Too wide for my little fenderwells ???
    {With either of these set ups I was thinking a 205/50-R17 tire}

Can I get an 18X8" in there and have it work ??? As I've found some interesting OEM Wheels of that size.
    But no point in considering them, if I can't turn the truck.
    (and Yes I know I'll have to alter the tire size accordingly, bigger wheel diameter lower sidewall height etc etc)

Does Anybody make an 18X7" perhaps ???

I'd like to have them Fill the wheel wells as much as possible, and have at least the semi 'tucked' look.
    But again, this is going to be a daily driver, so it needs to actually work.
    (within reason, I've had a Lot of lowered cars, and I know there are compromises)

So Forum Brain trust whom I'm sure has Mountains of Knowledge in this area ,,,
    Now that it's slammed ,,, What can I fit in there ???

As always Any and All Help and Advice is Most Appreciated !!!

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I have 16's on my truck now that sit nicely. To me, they are a little too "hovercraft" offset, but they are temporary until the 5 lug job is done. Pulled them from a Rodeo.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1979 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

G54B

Unhappy

Ok, I did some measuring over the weekend, and what I came up with, which doesn't seem right,
    it seems no matter what the diameter (16",17" 18") I can't have anything with more than about a 4" backspacing.
    The Stock wheel is 4.5" and now that it's dropped will not work. (obvs)

But I thought as I went up in Diameter, that I'd be able to fit a slightly wider wheel and have it tuck in at the fender lip enough,
    and also Not hit the LCA. But my measurements say no.
    Which is why I think I measured something wrong.

Is Anyone out there running 18's ??? If so, what Size ???
    Are the second gen's that much different ???

I don't mind running a small width combo, 7" 7.5", as it's just a cruiser. But it's low and I want them to tuck inside the fender lip.
    Ultimately I'd like to run an 18, but it's hard to find and 18X7 / 7.5 wheel.

My Dream wheel would be the Chevy Colorado Sport wheel, like I have photoshopped in my Gallery.
    But it's 18X8 and I don't know the offset or backspacing on it.

This Sux ! Because the suspension is all done, with all new steering linkage/bushings/ball joints etc.
    And I Can't Drive my Truck, because I can't find any wheels that will fit.
    (that I like) :o)

Thanx again to Any and All that can be of some Help, I Really Appreciate it !

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Any 17x7.5 gm rim will work and tuck. Examples are GMC denali 17s, Cadillac escalade 17s, tahoe 17s, etc. Just need to bore the rim centers out to 4" or shave down the hub rings front and back.

For 18s: the flat spoke 18x8 escalade rims bolt up and tuck, as will most other chevy/gm OEM 18. Still need to bore centers or shave hubs.

GM 16s stocks will also work like the z71s, etc.

Nissan titan 18x8 also bolt up and tuck according to quite a few members

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi guys, I have a dilemma. Well, I have 3. #1 : I have found a set of alloy wheels but don't know if they will grief me due to their size (17 x 8). #2 they have made me an absurdly cheap deal. #3 I am broke but I will kick myself if I don't scrape the coin together and buy them if they fit. Here is what I'm looking at - $_20.JPG

17" x 8" 38p, set of 5 includes all centre caps and wheel nuts (ignore the info in the pic) Are these going to fit on my rwd Gen 1 or am I going to run into clearance issues up front with the rim and/or tyre?

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    wow....love the rims! the offset is huge, but the diameter is also...can you drive to them or obtain 1 to test fit for front upper control arm clearance?...I believe they will clear the bottom rear of front fenders (depending on tire choice).

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The extremely helpful woman at the warehouse let me take one back to the truck and test fit it. No problemo in the rear but up front the inner lip of the rim touched the upper control arm (just). I was figuring that I didn't have the extra weight of the drivetrain loading up the suspension and I could grind a little off the shoulder of the UCA to gain some clearance. But then I have to factor in tyre profile. When I mounted it up back and looked at the truck from the rear this rim was PHAT. It's one of those "damned if I do, damned if I don't..." deals.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I have 8" wide with a 40 offset(they tuck deeper into the vehicle) and have no problems with the rim coming close to the control arm.
    Last edited by DroppedMitsu; 11-06-2015 at 07:17 AM.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Should've elaborated that was at full(ish) lock. I can see the front tyres getting real close to the front stabiliser bar too. Funny thing was, I went into this place a month or so ago when they decided they were closing up shop and they had a full pallet of 14's for $40 each (they were slightly transit damaged - little chips in the clear coat here and there). I sat on the fence on that one thinking I could go back later a grab a set (not much demand for alloys in 14"). Nope - gone. But now these have come up and I was offered an even better deal on these 17 x 8's. OH THE HUMANITY!!?!

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    yes mostly anything more than 7" wide you run into that issue, same with my 7.5" with +35mm offset. There is a steering stop on the back of the spindle that you can adjust to shorten the turning radius so they won't rub. Yes I know not the most ideal solution(less turning radius) but that is what happens when you put bigger/wider wheels on anything really.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    They also have a set of 17" x 8" 45p as well. The offset is enough for me to believe I won't run into fouling issues on the inner edge of the rim but that is a BIG offset.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    I run a 17x7 with the 43mm back space and I had to turn out the steering stops so the rim didn't hit the sway bar and radius arms. Put a friend set of 17x8's with a 45mm back space and they still stuck out of the fender well by 3/4"

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Fordubishi, no way they were a +45 offset then. I have an 8" wheel with a +40 offset(they tuck less than +45mm would) and they tuck with ease, 3/8" clearance to fender lip.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Damn you're right, was talking to my friend today and his wheels are 17x9's on front and 17x10's on the rear. When we did the front brakes on his car I tried one of his rims on my truck.

Array
    Status
    Farmersville
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    I have 16” z71 but the front upper control arm hit when laid out, would shaving the edge of the arm fix this issue?