Array
    Status
    Lake Havasu City,AZ
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Help! My timing chain jumped!

I removed the valve cover and looking down the timing chain on the loose side , left facing the engine, the chain guide is broken and the chain has jumped a couple of notches. My engine is the 2.6 and is 4x4, would it be easier to pull the head to remove the timing chain cover or jack up the engine and remove the oil pan, it looks like a real pain to remove the oil pan, and I could do an inspection on the head and make any repairs and change the stem seals. My baby has 222,000 mi. Thanks

Array
    Status
    Lake Havasu City,AZ
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Crickets Anyways I decided not to remove the head and I am glad I didn't. When I get the cover off I will post pics , from what I can see from the opening in the head it is a real mess in there

Array
    Status
    Lake Havasu City,AZ
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Wow what a morning! Here is a pic of my timing chain and debris. I guess I have the balance shaft elimination kit and whoever put this thing back together did a piss poor job. I jacked up the engine to remove the oil pan and put pieces of 2x4 between mounts and frame but cant get the pan out, can I jack the engine as high as it will go without damaging anything?
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    You are going to need to clean out the pan. At this point you might as well pull the engine and make it easy on your self. The trans will hit the firewall before you can get it high enough to get it out. Unless you can see some other way of doing it. Sucks you broke the tensioner.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Lake Havasu City,AZ
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Tomorrow is another day, I'm going to put the pan back up with a few screws and let the engine back down and remove the header then jack it back up as far as I can go, it looks like it might come out from the top side because I removed the radiator. I will let you know if it works! I really don't want to pull engine. Thanks Camoit

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Once you have the radiator out you only have a couple of other lines holding it in there. But I have herd you can pull the pan with out pulling the engine. It's just a pain. But you have 4X4 so IDK if you can. Just don't mess up the trans mount by torquing it up. You should be able to get a timing kit from rock auto. there might even be a good discount code in the discount thread.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Lake Havasu City,AZ
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Successful morning! I was able to remove the oil pan up thru the front. When I got the engine up higher it was easy access to the oil screen, removed the screen and the pan came right out. Here is a pic of the pan draining before I pull it out. I know for me this was easier than pulling the engine, lack of space,no engine hoist, engine stand etc. Man is that pan full of crap, it looks like the screen and filters have done their job. Thanks Camoit for your replies!
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Keep us updated. Also in the link section there is a free picture resizing tool you can DL You can rotate pictures and do other things to them. I use it all the time to batch resize.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Lake Havasu City,AZ
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Great, will try the link. Going to order parts from Rock Auto today

Array
    Status
    Lake Havasu City,AZ
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Oh no, cleaning and inspecting all my parts I've found that my crankshaft pulley is cracked on the opposite side of the keyway, it feels rough and I think it will screw up my new cover seal. Does anyone have one they would like to sell? It came off easy and how could this have happened!

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Just want to send some heart-felt sympathy for all the trouble with your truck you're experiencing...all at once.

And also to encourage you that, once you get it all back together, you'll have a real treasure to enjoy and drive. As a bonus, your sharing will help someone else, some day.

Hang in there!

Array
    Status
    Lake Havasu City,AZ
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks Royster! Taking the oil pan up from the front was great for me and I can see that could help someone in the future. These old trucks just need some love every now and then!

Array
    Status
    Lake Havasu City,AZ
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Got it all back together and it fired up on the first crank. Adjusted the timing and took it for a spin, runs great! Here is a pic of my pick a part harmonic balancer. This is what I did to it: timing chain and sprockets, balance shaft elimination chain and sprocket, chain guides, water pump, fan clutch, belts, thermostat, spark plugs, cap and rotor and wires, seals and gaskets. It was quite a project but well worth the effort. Thanks to everyone for the advice and support!
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Great news to hear when things go right on engine fixes.
    You didn't leave that FRAM filter on it did you? Fram filters have been known to have issues. Take a look at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgw4B7R-I

Array
    Status
    Lake Havasu City,AZ
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I did not use the Fram filter. I got a filter from Carquest, we use them on all of our trucks and equipment at work and have not had any issues with that brand. I had been reading about the Fram issues on this site. Lots of great info on here! I think Wix makes the Carquest brand.