I just joined the site after stumbling across this forum from googling "4D55 Seized;" because that is what Im dealing with. Just this week I purchased an 84 mighty max turbo diesel from a guy who had it as a parts truck. Apparently it ran rough when he parked it back in 09, but it ran. Myself being an avid project hoarder, I thought it would be an easy fix and a sweet swap for one of my monteros. But as I dug into tonight, I discovered that it's locked up tighter than a snare, so I'm having mixed emotions on my next move.

To my surprise, I was intrigued to hear that there is a market for restoring these pickups and after reading your posts, oem parts are few and far between in good shape. With that said, this donor truck I picked up is in damn good shape for an 84. The bucket seats must have had covers on them since new and the black paint looks immaculate under the layers of mildew and moss. If these trucks are rare, my automotive minded self knows better than to dismantle and separate parts from a "diamond in the rough" just for an off-road rig's donor engine. So the question is, would I have better luck selling the truck complete and continue my engine search, or pull the motor and part out the truck? Personally I try to put rigs back on the road rather then part them out, but these engines aren't your common Toyota 22R that u can find a dime a dozen. So your input will be appreciated.