Array
    Status
    AZ (soon OR)
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

4wd in reverse

My sisters 87 truck has a strange problem: when it's in 4LO and you shift the transmission into reverse it kicks the t-case back into 4HI mode. It's not a let the clutch out and it jumps situation, it seems like there's an interlock that moves it with the shifting action. Is it supposed to do this?

It has a 5 speed manual (obviously) and auto hubs.

Thanks for the help!

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I do know we have a user manual in the manual section. It may cover what you are describing. I also sent out a PM to a couple of the guys to get there input on this one. They got 4WD so they should know. It does not seem corect to me.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    this doesn't sound right to me. i have owned two '89 4x4 d-50's and never had that happen. does the truck have any kind of lift on it? the only thing that i can see causing that particular problem would be the boot that covers the stick shifts. because mine has a three inch body lift on it, the boot pulls on the 4wd stick in 4lo when i shift into reverse, but i have never had it pull it out of 4lo and into 4hi when shifting into reverse. my recomendation would be to take the boot off of the sticks, check and see if there is anything in the way under there. then i would unbolt the stick shifts and pull them out and look down in the trans to see if there is anything out of the ordinary. replace the stick shifts properly, and see if it still does the same thing.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    check the tranny mount - if its bad the tranny could shift, causing the lever to move from 4lo to 4hi. This could happen more often in 4lo because of the torque multiplication.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D56-T
    In all my years of offroading I have never used 4lo in reverse. I would not even worry about it. It is such an obscure situation it is not worth fixing on a 25 year old truck. Common sense has to kick in at some point.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Sorry, for taking so long has this issue been resolved, if not it sounds like the detent spring ball is bad