Array
    Status
    michigan city mi
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

g54b crankshaft pulley

so after a night of heavy drinking with a buddy months ago we decided we were gonna try to do some work to my old truck... 89 power ram... it sounded like a good idea at the time but my mechanic skills are very limited as u will notice... anyways got everything to make it new under the hood/drivetrain i.e neew non jet head water/fuel pump yada yada yad the list continues on and on... anyways i listened to him as far as which specialty tools to buy and wound up with the "spaceship" pully remover... only problem is the are no holes in the ballancer... im gonna go out on a limb and say i just need an arm puller instead??? ... here is the issue i have a timing chain kit so i need the ballancer off... seems simple enough just would prefer advice on removal and install so i can b for sure b4 i rip into it...

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    There are 4 small bolts that hold the pulley on. Remove them and the pulley comes off. There is a gear pulley behind that, and there are holes for a puller...but many members here say they were able to just wiggle it off. I used the puller and it did not take much effort to get the gear pully off.

scan0011.jpg
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    michigan city mi
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    from what i can see it looks like 1 single bolt in the middle its the lowest pulley the crankshaft 1v harmonic balancer

Array
    Status
    michigan city mi
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    on the outside of the timing cover

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by m16xmafiax313 View Post
    from what i can see it looks like 1 single bolt in the middle its the lowest pulley the crankshaft 1v harmonic balancer
    I completely forgot about that.

Yes, that bolt needs to come off before you pull the gear pully, but the actual belt pulley comes off first (by removing the 4 bolts).

Here's how I did this on my 2.4:
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post26676
    You’re going to have to remove that crankshaft center bolt...the pulley comes off first by removing the four small bolts. The crankshaft bolt holds on the timing gears, and while the book says you need a “helper” to assist you, I managed to do this by myself. It involves taking the inspection cover off the bottom of the transmission. (Be mindful of the nuts and bolts and where you place them). My trans is a 5-speed, but the automatic has the same basics: a flywheel with teeth for the starter. You’ll need to put a screwdriver on the right-hand side of the bottom of the bell housing, in one of those teeth, to keep the engine from turning while you loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt. Do not use the starter motor hole for this task. With the 19MM socket and ½” drive handle set to remove the bolt (counter-clockwise) you’ll do well to put a 24” or so piece of pipe on the ratchet handle…some call it a “cheater bar”, others call it “leverage pipe”. If it’s behind your front seat, it’s a “defense mechanism”.

You can hold the screwdriver in place, on the surface of the bell housing while engaged in the flywheel gear-tooth, and pull (or push) the ratchet with your other hand. Using your leg is fair game. It shouldn’t take much to get the bolt loose, and from there you can just ratchet it off.

A wheel puller removes the timing gears fairly easily once the center bolt is off. Now you can see the work before you.
    Last edited by royster; 03-05-2014 at 06:07 PM.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.