Array
    Status
    camarillo, california
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

1988 ram50 2.0l auto QUESTION

I feel I have one of the week eat trucks in the world. I don't want to do a full engine swap as this is my everyday driver. Any ideas on how to get more power without swapping? Any feedback much appreciated.

Array
    Status
    camarillo, california
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Weakest*

Array
    Status
    Eastman, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    88 Ram 50. Then you have the same truck as I do.

From what I've read here. a Carb swap to a Webber 32/36 and slapping some headers on it will give you more than enough pep.

Remember these little drucks don't have a lot of HP to begin with what makes them shine is the torque they have.

Array
    Status
    Eastman, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Shoot right now with my stock carb and exhaust manifold this thing launches when I mash the gas. No tire chirping but good neg "G" feek in the pit of your stomach. I can't wait to feel it with now carb and headers.

Array
    Status
    camarillo, california
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Is yours automatic. What did you do to the exhaust.

Array
    Status
    Eastman, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Yes mine is automatic, and I did nothing yet.

If it is feeling sluggish you might wanna throw a can of Seafoam in the gas tank and half a can of it in the crank case. drive it, and in 300 miles change the oil . use full synthetic when you do. the sluggishness will disappear!

In case you do not know what Seafoam is click Here:

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I wouldnt do that. I kmow its a very popular thing to do, but I see a ton of engines coming into my shop with damage because of Seafoam. To each their own, but I wouldnt use that stuff.

Array
    Status
    Eastman, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thats because those people are putting a whole can in. It says right in the instructions use 1.5 oz for every quart of oil. that is roughly 3/4 of a can. people think "what the hell I'll just throw the whole thing in". and they blow their seals because it is now too much pressure under the valve cover. I use less than what the instructions say. I only use HALF the can. right before I change my oil. drive it for about 3 or 4 days and do a complete oil change.

I do this with all my vehicles and never had an engine problem. Why?? Cuz I'm not a dunski that says "might as well throw the whole can in" LOL

I've been using seafoam since I owned my 73' 318 CID Plymouth Duster. just be smart about using stuff and you will be fine. be dumb and you will harm your engine.

Like everything in life. Things work better when folks RTFM!

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    If you want to clean out the engine. change the oil with Dello 400. Then run like normal. It's a good high detergent oil.
    Sea foam or any other type additive breaks down the oil and it looses it's lubricity.
    Sea Foam is like adding a half cup of diesel to the crank case. It turns it into water. Then you must change the oil several times to wash it all out. But no one ever does. So the fresh oil just goes back to water after a couple of days. I have never been a big fan of "cleaning" the engine on the inside. It's not like fuel deposits. But the fuel companies have fixed that problem years ago. Things cave changed since the 60 when the deposit were a problem. I remember when a peace of carbon would break loose and it sounded like the engine was coming apart.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com