Hello, I'm new to the forum. I recently replaced the timing chain, gears, guides and tensioners on my engine. The whole reason I did this was because I was driving one day and my engine started losing power and spark knocking really bad up hill. So I turned around went home changed plugs and the little bit of driving I did afterward the truck seemed fine. Then I was driving it about a week later and was a good ways from home and the same thing happened again. So I stopped and retarded the timing a little. Just trying to adjust it enough so I could get home. It wouldn't hardly take off so about every five feet I adjusted the timing again and again till it was all the way retarded before I could drive it home. So I came to the assumption after pulling the valve cover and inspecting things that the timing chain looked to be looser than it should so I was going to blame the tensioner. When I replaced everything the new tensioner spring was about 1/2 longer than the old one. I went to time it with a light today. Engine fully up to temp with the vacuum line off the advance. To get the timing marks to line up it had to be fully retarded again. So I'm kinda stumped. Any advice, help, or direction would greatly appreciated.
Thanks