Array
    Status
    Pomeroy, WA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Cool Maintenance required!

Well, Just reached 240,000mi. on my '89 D50 with 2.6 and my maintenance reqd. light came on.
    Does anyone have an idea how to reset or will it extinguish itself after a bit? I performed all the emissions work per the manual. Yep. Sure did.
    Help me out if you can. Thank you.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    The maintenance required light is a reminder to replace the timing belts. To turn it off, you access the switch by removing a small cover on the lower right-hand side of the instrument cluster. It's opposite of the hazard switch. I don't have a photo, so holler if you need more info.

p.s.

I'm not sure what the 2.6 has in the way of timing belts or chains.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The 2.6 has timing chains, so no need to replace that if it isn't making an unholy racket (esp. at startup), but adjusting the chain guide may be advised (not sure if '89s have a manual guide adjustment or hydraulic auto-adjust?).

The maintenance light is primarily just for checking/cleaning emissions stuff. Once you remove the dummy switch cover as royster explained, the toggle-slider switch to reset the light won't be immediately obvious; you'll need to peer in there to see it, attached to the bottom-right corner of the instrument cluster, may need to reach in there with a screwdriver to flip the switch.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Pomeroy, WA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    The 2.6 has timing chains, so no need to replace that if it isn't making an unholy racket (esp. at startup), but adjusting the chain guide may be advised (not sure if '89s have a manual guide adjustment or hydraulic auto-adjust?).

The maintenance light is primarily just for checking/cleaning emissions stuff. Once you remove the dummy switch cover as royster explained, the toggle-slider switch to reset the light won't be immediately obvious; you'll need to peer in there to see it, attached to the bottom-right corner of the instrument cluster, may need to reach in there with a screwdriver to flip the switch.
    Thank you Royster & SubGothias. I hadn't looked in my Haynes manual yet so I went to the experts! Thanks good people.