Array
    Status
    tulsa,ok
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63

my project

hi guys, I was introduced to the mini rams when I lived around the corner from fool on the hill. I helped him with his yellow p/u and now that I am back in Okla I have bought my own to work on. I bought my mini about 6 months ago and have been delayed because of winter and formulating a plan on what to do with it. the orig 2.0 liter engine has rusted up because of the previous owner let someone work on it. This person made a couple of adapter blocks out of plastic to mount a ford single barrel carb on it. Which let coolant leak into the intake and rust the pistons in the cylinders. I was in my daily driver, 98 jeep grand Cherokee 4.0 2 w.d., and it dawned on me. Why not get a 4.0 liter and stuff it into the d50. It has fuel injection, overdrive, 4 wheel disc brakes, dependable as a timex watch and nobody has done that before that I have found. So my plan is hatched, a co-worker crashed his jeep 2 weeks ago and I bought it for $350.00 for a parts vehicle. the only thing smashed are front end parts that I cannot use on the d50 anyway. So the project starts here. How many parts can I use off of the jeep? How long will this take? stay tuned and find out.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    pennington gap,va
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    are those ranger mirrors?/what kinda wheels they look sweet int a straight6 pretty long? probably at least gotta get electric fans

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Those look like the Mits 4WD mirrors. I found a pair just like those in black and they were on a Mits truck.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    those are the stock lowmount mirrors that were an option on the 1st gen trucks - I have a set of aftermarket ones that look just like them if any ones interested in them.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    pennington gap,va
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    mine looked more like 82 toyota 4x4 mirrors now ive got the top half of ramcharger mirrors on my door mount so theyre kinda like tow mirrors but they still look cool just a little bigger

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Interested to see where this goes.

Array
    Status
    Townsend, DE
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I've owned well over 20 Toyota 4WD's in the past and 75% of them have had some similar variation of the mirrors in the pic. My guess was that another company produced them for the light truck market and certain manufacturers would install them on certain trucks. What I could never figure out in regards to Toyota was that they would use this style mirror on some SR5's along with some bare bones ones as well.

Array
    Status
    tulsa,ok
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    sorry It has been a while since I posted something. I have been working on this project as well as projects for my son. but to no avail here is what's going on. I have been slowly stripping the parts jeep. unbolt this, unplug that, cut that, no wait a minute I might need that so go ahead and unplug it now for use later. a couple of sawzall cuts and here we are now, since this major hurdle has been accomplished, the next step is to remove the firewall and floorboards from the jeep to modify the d-50 for the 4.0 transplant. hopefully that will not take a long.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    is that a regular or high output 4.0? the auto tranny should work with a shortened front driveshaft. Keep us posted.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    tulsa,ok
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    is that a regular or high output 4.0? the auto tranny should work with a shortened front driveshaft. Keep us posted.
    no, just a regular 4.0. I am planning on using the jeep rear axle converted from coils to leafs so I will have rear disc brakes. will have to shorten the driveshaft but that is not a problem. I have 2 good driveline shops in my town that can handle it. going to keep the engine rebuild reasonable so my wife can drive it to get plants or whatever. it will definitely have a/c in it also.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Those 4.0 jeep motors are pretty solid. Been wanting to put one in my 66 dart in place of the slant six. Good luck shoe-horning it into the truck

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Ya is that going to fit in your truck? Seems to be a very long motor and probably will set the gear shift back a way if not a automatic. Either that or the radiator fan will hanging out the front like an airplane. This will be interesting to see, keep the pics coming.
    Last edited by BradMph; 09-29-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    i like your choice of rims

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Front mounting an electric thermo fan should solve the fan issue but yeah, it's gonna be tight. You may end up needing to moving the radiator and A/C condenser forward to get an extra couple of inches clearance. It's all do-able.

Array
    Status
    tulsa,ok
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    thanks guys, I am going to use the jeep rear axle so I will have the disc brakes on it and convert the front to 5 lug. yes the parts jeep is automatic and just a 2 wheel drive so I don't think I will have problems with the shifter. about the engine being longer, my son and I are going to cut the firewall and floorboard out of the parts jeep to use in the d50. I think that would be easier to utilize than trying to fab a firewall to bend around the back of the engine since the jeep firewall already does that. more pics are coming. stay tuned.