Array
    Status
    Atlanta GA
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Receiver hitch for 91

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction for information or a source on adding a receiver hitch to my 91 2wd Ram 50. The usual online resources like etrailer.com don't show a prefab hitch as available for my truck. I did a search here and found a few threads with folks using their trucks to to tow some significant weights, so I'm assuming they aren't using a step bumper mounted ball to do that!

Is everyone getting these custom fabbed?

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Hey there, Leftfield: good to see you.

As you know, there's not a whole lot of framing back there by the tailgate to support any significant weight. If you don't have a factory bumper then there isn't even a cross-brace at the ends of the frame.

I intend to eventually install a trailer hitch, and I'm going to get someone to weld additional framing back there. The crucial note is to remember the spare tire crank needs to remain accessible.

Those with existing hitches or who have installed them will probably give you better information, this is just my 2 cents.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Guys,
    Let me tell you that the stock bumper will tow and hold a LOT of weight. Get a used pull a part bumper, clean respray (like I did) $35.00 and a ball a tow your ass off. The frame is HARD, so welding may weaken it..Get some high grade bolts for bolting on the bumper mounts tho. I KNOW it will tow 6000 lbs as my tri axle trailer (on a 91 v6MAX) did o Miami, then back WITH A BACKHOE on a fifthwheel in bed (3rd gear, 50-55 mph) to Alabama, 1500 miles rtrip!! On hitch down, (lights wouldn't reach gooseneck)..!! You MAY want to reweld seams on edge of bumper/ball area, as it's just "stitch welded" on mine...ANY load that your 4g64 will tow, won't hurt frame or bumper, I promise! The original to rating was high anyway @ 3500-4000 lbs I think....

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    If you want receiver, stock bumper with Harbour Freight.com "golf cart" receiver is my setup...works GREAT so far... and $25!!(plusbumper)! ANY MAX/dodge ram 50 year bumper fits...

Array
    Status
    Atlanta GA
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    My truck doesn't have the OEM bumper, but it does have a chrome step bumper manufactured by Westin. I'll have to get under there and look at the brackets and see if they look solid and substantial.

Array
    Status
    Winter Park, FL
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I bought mine from Hitchweb but I guess there all sold out. It mounts to the frame and can use it with or without a bumper.

Array
    Status
    Winter Park, FL
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmit View Post
    I bought mine from Hitchweb but I guess there all sold out. It mounts to the frame and can use it with or without a bumper.
    I tow a small trailer with it, even flat towed a 52 Dodge on tow dolly
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by thillskier View Post
    Guys,
    The frame is HARD, so welding may weaken it..Get some high grade bolts for bolting on the bumper mounts tho.
    What about bolting on additional support? I've got some rust back there (typical for the year) that makes me want beef for supper.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hidden Hitch made a great 1 1/4" hitch that tucked in tight and looked pretty good with the roll pan I had from Lund. Pretty sure I bought it from JC Whitney years ago. I believe that draw Titie made one and they was one that had adjustments in it where you would bolts in the correct predrilled holes to match frame width. I believe Walmart sold that one. If I run across any others I'll post it up here. Good luck!

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The Curt part number 13950 should do the trick. It's a semi-universal where you put bolts in a set of predrilled holes to set the frame width. They are on the net, quick search was about$180.00

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    My dads 88 sportcab had a drawtite 2" receiver hitch on it all its life - it ended up being the rear crossmember when the spare tire carrier rotted out.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980