Array
    Status
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55

steering gear leaks

I have 1st gen 4x4 power steering gear leaking at top of unit, seems to be at lash adjustment screw so I put brass washer under lock nut. Its still leaking. Should I take top cover off and cut new gasket for it? Is there an internal leak? I replaced previous gear with this one because it leaked out bottom at pitman arm shaft. Time for another or can I fix it?

Array
    Status
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Did anything ever come of this issue, I am having the same problem on my 87 2wd Ram 50

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Rock Auto to the rescue. They have rebuild kits for sale.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    had the same issue with the 83 4x4...did the rock auto rebuild...lasted a month (hopefully you will have better luck...price is reasonable to try). ended up swopping out with the 1986 parts truck (that I rebuilt with factory components in 1991) only to find the pitman arm splines are larger on the 1986 (but luckily had a good pitman arm...broke my pitman puller). Been about 4 months now...no leaks...very responsive & no steer "wandering"...life is smooth sailing once again.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    these boxes have the tendancy to wear oval shape on the shafts, usually the one to the pitman arm. If that happens, new seals are just a stopgap until the casing gets new bushings and bearings to fix the slop. That is why rebuilt boxes cost so much - the bearings are custom made to fix the box, no factory ones are available.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Hmm since I don't drive her daily I think I am going to give the repair kit from rockauto a shot. Was the gear difficult to take out? I removed the driver side tire and lifted the truck breifly the other day just to get a better look, seems like it could be a pain to pull out.