Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T

Barn find 1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max 2.3 turbo 4d55-T 4x4

image.jpgHey everyone,

New to the site and just picked up a very clean 1984 4d55-t Mitsubishi mighty max 4x4.

It was super dirty from sitting in a garage the last twenty years but has cleaned up very well and I'm trying to get it back on the road.

It needs quite a few parts to complete it and I'm currently working on just getting the engine to turn over I think it has a small amount of freeze up.
    It was stored inside a garage covered in carpet without coolant. The radiator had been removed as has the air box and some other misc hoses heater hoses ac hoses are disconnected also. Ill attaché photos. If anyone has or knows where I can find parts?

Can parts come off of similar gas trucks of the same era? Ie radiator, bumpers, windshield washer reservoir, fan, fan clutch?

If anyone has any advice for me about the resurrection of this truck let me know.

Thanks,
    Diesel mightymax
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Hey DMM...everyone here DREAMS of such a treasure tucked away in some forgottton garage. Lucky you! It looks like a real find, and THERE are the mud flaps someone was looking for

Just a hello (and 'welcome') from me, though: both 1st generation AND diesel are out of my league.

I know a nice truck when I see one, though!
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    DMM, thanks for the great eye-candy in the gallery: Wow, did you find a real treasure!!!

I enjoyed every picture and description. This truck is wonderfully ready to live as if 20 years never happened. Astonishing!
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    pennington gap,va
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    with any engine that has been sitting i always make a combination of brake fluid tranny fluid and gas and put in the cylinders let it sit then slowly turnover back and forth w/breakerbar thenbump it over the tranny fluid penetrates the brake fluid builds compression i guess it being a deisel you wouldnt want to use gas in the mix my L model gravely manual actually says after removing from storage to add 1/2 pint kerosene and 30w oil to cylinder and turnover by hand before attempting to start in order to freeup valves and get the rings lubed.

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Thanks for the welcome royster, I found a truck with those same mud flaps. Who needed them and how much do they want to pay for them? I can get them soon. If the truck is still there. Let me know and i can swoop them. There are a couple parts off of the same truck that i want also maybe i could get a deal on the package.

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Yeah I have read several threads about the witches brew. instead of gasoline I opted to use the diesel. Ill have to look for the kerosene and i have 30wt. Thanks for the support Sunn300t.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    If you get it freed up you might want to do a compression check before running it. I had the same issue with a 2.6 engine a couple of years ago. Used kerosene and 30 wt oil and let it soak for a few days and turned it over with a Johnson bar. Even though it turned over, the rings were seized to the pistons and the motor ended up being a block donor when I had my '89 s engine rebuilt.

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Kroil is fantastic for freeing stuck stuff too.

Array
    Status
    Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    nice find maN!!

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    I may be the only one who has OEM new 1st gen and 4d55 parts. Let me know what you want for it. BTW if you end up changing your mind I'll happily take it off your hands !

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Thanks Mike I am looking for parts to fill in where some are missing. I have to get to the bottom of the seize issue first not sure if I'm going to be able to free it up without taking the head off and then figuring out how far down the rabbit hole I should go.

I'm wondering about radiators off of same era gas d50s or max's would these work for the diesel? I have a thread on a 1986 mighty max 2.6 4x4. It has bumpers, roll bar which I think will fit. As for the fan clutch, and radiator would these be good donors? Or is there a special rad and fan clutch that would be needed for the diesel's?? May be a bad question but it seems like I could save a lot of money if they could work. If I give up on the project I'll let you know first.

Thanks!
    Diesel mightymax

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Thanks for the great photos of a beautiful truck http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...achmentid=8435 and a hopeful resurrection, DMM. Your caution and sure-footed approach is admireable, and I hope the best success for this project.

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel mightymax View Post
    Thanks Mike I am looking for parts to fill in where some are missing. I have to get to the bottom of the seize issue first not sure if I'm going to be able to free it up without taking the head off and then figuring out how far down the rabbit hole I should go.

I'm wondering about radiators off of same era gas d50s or max's would these work for the diesel? I have a thread on a 1986 mighty max 2.6 4x4. It has bumpers, roll bar which I think will fit. As for the fan clutch, and radiator would these be good donors? Or is there a special rad and fan clutch that would be needed for the diesel's?? May be a bad question but it seems like I could save a lot of money if they could work. If I give up on the project I'll let you know first.

Thanks!
    Diesel mightymax
    And I'll be second?

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    Up on close inspection that is not the original paint job. It appears to be the original color (gold was very common in 1984) but there are too many indicators that is has been repainted. The large orange TURBO DIESEL decal on the bed was standard on all diesel pickups in 1984. The raised MITSUBISHI letters on the bed should be black. The tailgate should also have 4WD, TURBO DIESEL and SPX decals. All these decals were standard for this truck.

She really needs to be restored and put back to original condition.

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T

Quote Originally Posted by 4D55 Performance View Post
    Up on close inspection that is not the original paint job. It appears to be the original color (gold was very common in 1984) but there are too many indicators that is has been repainted. The large orange TURBO DIESEL decal on the bed was standard on all diesel pickups in 1984. The raised MITSUBISHI letters on the bed should be black. The tailgate should also have 4WD, TURBO DIESEL and SPX decals. All these decals were standard for this truck.

4D55 Performance,

I agree on the original I'm not into getting crazy with my trucks. Had a 91 Toyota Stock 4x4 super clean bought with 120,000, installed an original tape deck instead of aftermarket cd because I didn't want one sticking out of the spot for your wallet/smokes/sandwich?etc.

What would restored to original condition be to you?

Fix small amount of cancer w/ correct fender pieces by welding?
    Repaint? If so is the shade of gold off it seems a little bit lighter than maybe the original?
    Adding the Graphics? By painting or By Vinyl?
    Bring engine back by rebuilding?
    Rebuilding the turbo/Upgrade the Turbo Re route?
    Acquire the air cleaner and radiator.
    Build or Acquire pass door panel.
    AC missing component to complete system.
    Acquire the original bumper? Rear Bumper? Not sure if they came with the rear or not? Bull bar? Roll bar + Kc Lights?
    Acquire the front behind the grill lights.
    Add battery to box behind the seat. Need battery box.
    Detail the tape deck.
    Detail the heat system.
    tires wheels.

These are the things that i feel it needs. Can you think of any other issues that you would address?

The woman I bought this from did say her husband had it repainted. I wasn't sure how long ago that had happened or what had been painted or why, there is some rot that looks like whoever did paint it missed a little cancer that has over the last 20 years of sitting has spread a small amount its at the bottom of the door jam drivers side fender. Looking at the photos of the truck in my pics you can't see this spot due to shadows. Ill post a photo tomorrow to clarify.

This one spot is def the sore on the vehicle, but its not too bad that it couldn't be repaired or spot patched with a original piece of nipped fender/runner. Can you use fenders from a 86 for a patch or did the body change at all in the 2 years of production?

I have a Printer Plotter at my disposal. Do you have images of the graphics and dimensions? I could just print some out in the original color way. Only on quality vinyl...LOL I hate cheap vinyl!!

Thanks for the feedback and interest in this MMXSPX?

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    IMG_0258.jpg
    This is kinda how I was thinking. Do engine body work and bumpers. Any threads on the mitsubishi light covers?

Heres the flaw its on the drive and i just looked again it on the pass side also but not as intense.GOPR0696.jpg bummed on this.but it is fixable
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    A couple of things to think about. The truck has a lot of value if restored to stock specs. Avoid hacking up the dash, fenders, interior and other areas. Finding a factory front bumper and repairing a that rust should be major priorities. I doubt you will find an original rear bumper but a Fey Sure Step rear bumper will fit nicely. As for the engine, if it is in need of a rebuild then I would recommend getting a new crate motor. I know it is pricey but it will be cheaper in the long run. To get the truck back to where it needs to be will probably cost $10K but it will be well worth it.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Oh be still my beating heart, is that a circa 1976 Honda 350 you posted in the gallery!???

IMG_0737.jpg

scan0010.jpg

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Would stock bumpers off of an 86 mighty max 2.6ltr work?

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    1976 cb500t

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel mightymax View Post
    Would stock bumpers off of an 86 mighty max 2.6ltr work?

The bumpers will bolt on but the front bumper is not the correct bumper. The 1983-84 Mitsubishi Pickups had the turn signal in grille. The 1985-86 had the turn signal in the front bumper.

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    IMG_0230.jpgIMG_0231.jpgIMG_0232.jpg So this is what I've found near to me. the truck is whole. 2.6 Ltre. I only need the bumpers an roll bar is this worth me acquiring? I may be able to use the radiator and fan clutch also?

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Id leave the roll bar unless you're dying for it as that's not factory. Radiator will work not fan clutch. Get the mudflaps and grille guard. Rear bumper is stock for ram 50.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    If you have a place to park it as a parts truck, it might be worth getting the whole truck. Not much question that you will get your money back selling parts from it, plus all the things you need for your own (door panel?).

The parts truck I bought (2nd generation) cost $300 (they would not take less) but I've sold that much in parts. PLUS I learned a lot about the trucks by dismantling. So, depending on what they want for it, it could be a good investment...even if you only break even.

As you're in Los Angeles, I'm sure there are some locals who would be happy to get parts from you.

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    I think that is the factory rollbar for the ram 50 but you have to drill holes into the bed to install it. Those holes quickly turn to rust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast