Thread: Barn find 1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max 2.3 turbo 4d55-T 4x4

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    The crate motor you are talking about is the 4d56? would this engine bolt right in?
    Where would one find values for these trucks? Value at an auction?
    Are people looking for these trucks and why?

I bought this thinking I could get it running and have a nice around town truck originally, now I'm stalled on what Im going to do with it. It was supposed to be a truck on a budget. Now I'm thinking its going to be a long road to perfection and a money tank. I like my trucks to be original and clean which is why i bought this in the first place, even though it was not running. Its very clean!

I def don't have $10k to put into this, more like $1000. I was thinking about rebuilding the engine myself, am torn now. I want to give the truck the respect it deserves because it is in really nice shape exterior wise. other than the rotted spots. Any more thoughts would be appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Belton, SC
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    If you purchased that parts truck, I would definitely consider helping you offset the cost of buying it by purchasing parts for my rebuild.
    Truck looks pretty cool, man! Good luck with the resto.

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    What Parts are you looking for? I haven't picked it up yet. Im still weighing out the budget and space issues.

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Hey 4d55performance, MikeWarme, and all others that may have done a 4d56 motor swap.

I have been sleeping on this project until now and was wondering if the 4d56 would bolt right in to replace the 4d55? What other things would you consider doing while swapping?

I'm thinking new radiator, and AC I don't have a fan shroud so one of those I found some rocker panels and front quarter panels to replace the rotten ones I'm planning on painting the truck back to the original color, does anyone know the color code for the brown?

I am am also looking for the diesel and turbo decals speck size? Do these exist or does anyone have access to the artwork and size info? I hope these questions are worthy of an answer. Thanks and I'm looking forward to getting this done right!

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by 4D55 Performance View Post
    Up on close inspection that is not the original paint job. It appears to be the original color (gold was very common in 1984) but there are too many indicators that is has been repainted. The large orange TURBO DIESEL decal on the bed was standard on all diesel pickups in 1984. The raised MITSUBISHI letters on the bed should be black. The tailgate should also have 4WD, TURBO DIESEL and SPX decals. All these decals were standard for this truck.

She really needs to be restored and put back to original condition.
    Hey 4d55 performance, and all others that may have done a 4d56 motor swap.

I have been sleeping on this project until now and was wondering if the 4d56 would bolt right in to replace the 4d55? What other things would you consider doing while swapping?

I'm thinking new radiator, and AC I don't have a fan shroud so one of those I found some rocker panels and front quarter panels to replace the rotten ones I'm planning on painting the truck back to the original color, does anyone know the color code for the brown?

I am am also looking for the diesel and turbo decals and SPX, speck size? Do these exist or does anyone have access to the artwork and size info? I hope these questions are worthy of an answer. Thanks and I'm looking forward to getting this done right!

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Nice find! I bought a very similar '83 Dodge Power Ram 50 from a fellow in Beaverton last year.

I don't suppose you'd be willing to part with the camper shell? If not, do you have any information on the make and model?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Mike Warme did a repop of the 83 Turbo Diesel side decals - he may have a second set or who made them for him. The 4d56 is a direct boltin, once the oilpan and other4wd parts are put on the new motor.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12