Hey everyone, so as I said in my last post, I am rebuilding the 4d55 engine for my truck. I pulled the engine in a pretty short amount of time, probably less then an hour but who's counting right? Love the older rigs with very little extra to take up space!

Of course we had sunny weather for the past 2 weeks and all of a sudden it starts snowing for a few days and is also 20 degrees... It's actually the most snow we have had in this area in a long time!

I'll let the pictures do most of the talking:

As it sits, in all of its glory...

Starting on the passenger side.

With the Head off:

Oil pan removed. Started getting a little worried here because there was quite a bit of metal in the bottom and on the pickup when I first took it off. You'll see why...

One of the reasons for the metal in the pan: This is the number 4 rod journal.

Here is the 3rd rod journal: The rest looked great.

I tried to get a good shot of the lip at the top of the bore, it's pretty big. Also, every one of the pistons had a broken ring. I don't know if that is from removal over the lip or what, but the wear plus or minus the rings is definitely why the compression was less then 100 psi per cylinder. The lip is big enough to get your nail stuck easily.

Knowing that my crank is probably going to have to be turned to be used, I decided to pull apart my spare block. The spare block came with the truck, but was seized up. Well, I unseized it, and I think I will clean this block up and as long as the cylinders can be cleaned, I will use this block. There is literally no lip at all at the top, and the bearings actually looked brand new as if someone put it together and then never ran it. So, everything will get replaced for peace of mind, but just thought it was interesting.

Here are the pistons/rods from the seized block. Also forgot to mention that, on the 3rd rod from my main block, the bearing was seized to the rod cap and had turned itself so that it was out of the normal configuration if that makes sense...

It looks ugly now, but I should be able to clean this block up really nicely. I noticed it also has a block heater, where my other block did not.

More pictures to come. For now I am going to get everything as clean as possible to make some good measurements and then finally get everything ordered to get this thing on the road again! I spoke with Mike Warme a few weeks ago and I am going to be buying the parts from him. I have not heard back from him in a while, so if you are reading this Mike, I am finally ready to go!

Any advice that anyone has would be greatly appreciated throughout this build. Also, if anyone has the adapter setup or can recommend something that works for setting the proper timing on the injection pump, that would be great!

~Kyle